• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

U'VE HAD IT!

Big10

My current project is Tamiya 1/48th P-51B done up as 362FS/357FG flown by Capt. John B. England. There is just something about a bird done up in full invasion strips.

h0cf7b44.jpg

h95554b8.jpg

h88ba465.jpg

h806966c.jpg

Decals going down. These are made by AM DG and are tissue paper thin. I don't like decals that thin as you need surgical placement as they easily tear when trying to get into the right position.

I messed up the G4 on the other side and must get a replacement set so I can complete the model.
h46fe5cf.jpg

Well, it is what it is. My hands aren't as steady as they used to be and that was the 4th attempt at cutting the lettering out.

I really need to get myself on of those plotters that you can create and cut your own mask.

hd2d41f1.jpg

Looks great John!
thumbsup.gif

What I constantly tell my coworkers is that when things always go right and smooth, you don't learn anything. The learning experiences are always when you have to fix the screw-up or when something is buggered up out of the box.

I had to learn something similar many years ago when I was building the 1/24th scale MPC (Airfix) Ju87. The decals were absolute crap! They were super thick, they wouldn't lay down, they wouldn't conform and then they wouldn't even stick. Micro Sol and Sovaset would not work. In fact the bigger ones would lay flat like thin plastic off of the paper backing.

So, I used the decals as reference patterns and using thin vellum (tracing paper) I traced out the insignia and letters. Then I added double sticky sided scotch tape to the back and using a #11 blade cut out my stencils. It turned out very nice with the painted markings.

I never would have figured out how to do it if not for the FUBAR decals the kit came with.

Thanks you two. Although I think it could be better, this was my first time in attempting to make my own stencil.

I looked at the cameo 4 but it's close to $300. That's a lot of kits, lol.

Now that I am pass this hurdle, hopefully I can get this one done and call it the last one of 2019.

Good recovery, on with the show. I have a Silhouette Cameo and can't seem to build a model without using it.

Back