• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Airfix 1/72 USAAF Bomber resupply set

jeaton01

I needed some support equipment for my display case and was glad to see Airfix do this set, I wish they would also do it in 1/48. The tank trailer, the Autocar tractor pulling it, the bomb truck and trailer, and the Cushman scooter are in the set. The dump truck is a very early Hasegawa kit as is the jeep, had to scratch the clear parts because they were never a part of the kits. The other GMC 353 is by Academy and is a nice kit, although I had to reshape the windshield on it. I am familiar with the GMC trucks as my family used them in a water well drilling business after the war when I was a flea. I worked on the 270 engine many times although most were in later post war trucks. The frame and drivetrain on the Academy kit is very complete and accurate. In comparison the Hasegawa kit is very simplified but still more fiddley to put together, and I am offended that they got the rear suspension springs upside down. How's that gonna work? However, this dump truck built a lot of airfields in WWII so we all need one or three, right? The C-53 is the Airfix kit, built previously.

005usaafbrs.jpg

001usaafbrs.jpg

I saw the kit at Hobby Lobby the other day and it caught my eye, not my scale but nice to see.

I had one short shot part and when I asked for a replacement expressed my wish for the set in 1/48. Haven't heard back on that yet...

Better to go with the Academy Jeeps such as come with their Mustangs in 1/72. But the Hasegawa 1/48 Jeep is fine.

0051jeep.jpg

That is beautiful! I think I have one built of everything you've shown here; as well as two other dump trucks. How cool to see them all sitting together. Brilliant job John!

Back