Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
"Wesendorf Field"

Park your aircraft at our Tom Wesendorf Memorial Aerodrome and Poolside Lounge. Share your aircraft builds here.

TOPIC: Tamiya P-38F build

Tamiya P-38F build review 01 Nov 2019 09:23 #25

That is why I did the warning on it. I would really like to get one as it looks to have goodies to bend metal and do other things. Plus it looks like a well made tool.

Anyway I showed some better tools than the POS Micro Mart one.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Tamiya P-38F build review 01 Nov 2019 18:56 #26

Heavens Eagle wrote:

hfed1143.jpg

I think this is what the Micro Mark press is modeled after.

Micro-Mark actually blatantly copied NorthWest ShoreLine's Sensi-Press, see link:

I've warned people to stay away from Micro-Mark (only now I realized Micro-Mart is Micro-Mark) for a long time since their manager started producing pirated designs:

www.modelersalliance.org/forum/in-the-na...100?start=168#118921

Add to that a copy of Mission Models' Grabhandler:

and the original:

Regards,
Saúl Garcí­a
Masquerading as a man with a reason
My charade is the event of the season
And if I claim to be a wise man,
Well, it surely means that I don't know

Tamiya P-38F build review 01 Nov 2019 19:55 #27

Think we were talking about it this weekend.
I told you photobucket sucks...

"If you don't like it why don't you just let it be"
Hank Williams Jr.

Tamiya P-38F build review 01 Nov 2019 20:49 #28

Thanks Saul!

I remember you posting something quite a while back just after I bought my arbor press. With my upgrades it is usable now but it was a POS when I first got it. It could still use a little more rework on the press shaft. I also wouldn't use it on anything must more than what I currently use it on.

Tamiya P-38F build review 01 Nov 2019 21:38 #29

I just did a really scathing review of the press-it tool on Micro Mart. Wouldn't surprise me if it gets removed. Probably should do a detailed review on my POS and what I had to do in order to make it worthwhile.

As to the P-38 (yeah time to get back on topic) I was able to use a Vallejo color to blend the crap paint to the zinc chromate colors I like to use.

Tamiya P-38F build review 02 Nov 2019 08:23 #30

Looking good Paul, that is too bad about the paint. I did a similar thing with Agama paint once and had trouble. Since then, I always test new paint on my paint mule first.

Keep at it though, looking awesome!
  • sharkman
  • sharkman
  • Master at Arms
    Master at Arms
Warren

On the Bench: Lost count!

Tamiya P-38F build review 02 Nov 2019 11:27 #31

I just noticed last night that Eduard just released their PE set for the cockpit and a few other incorrect details on this kit. Wish I had waited just a little bit longer as the 'pit has some issues. I will be getting the seatbelt set though as the kit decal sucks.

Tamiya P-38F build review 09 Nov 2019 01:21 #32

I have still been plugging away at this kit. The fit on the parts so far is excellent. All the small items and panels in the wings fit perfectly. I am only going to need a little filler at the join between the wing top and bottom to clean up the slight line where the join is and a little on the sides of the fuselage where they join.

Lots of assembly, and have changed the build order a little to have things in better sub assemblies for painting.

Here we go...

I should get a bit more done over the weekend. It has turned out cold here and don't have much desire to get out in it.

There are still more parts to go in the main gear wells. The instructions have you building one well and doing a bunch of stuff then building the other. I chose to build them up side by side which really works better, (expecially for painting. The superchargers got a little TLC and each one has 4 parts to it. I decided to change that up as well (after testing to see if I could even do it different). They are fine and nicely detailed as well.

Tamiya P-38F build review 09 Nov 2019 05:50 #33

h0a8056d_2019-11-09.jpg
  • Piet
  • Piet
  • Division Commander
    Division Commander
'' I could sense things were about to kick off, so I got out of there !''
Last Edit: 09 Nov 2019 05:50 by Piet.

Tamiya P-38F build review 09 Nov 2019 08:53 #34

Nice progress so far :thumbsup I'm going to wait for a later version assuming I don't do ahead with my Academy kit first. I have been using the liquid chrome markers for the reflectors in landing lights and the like, quicker and easier than paint.
  • Old Dog
  • Old Dog
  • Division Commander
    Division Commander

Tamiya P-38F build review 09 Nov 2019 10:16 #35

Wow, the fit on that kit does look amazing!

:popcorn
  • sharkman
  • sharkman
  • Master at Arms
    Master at Arms
Warren

On the Bench: Lost count!

Tamiya P-38F build review 18 Nov 2019 21:41 #36

Time for another update as I just keep plugging away at this little beastie. The parts fit has been quite good with one exception, the air intake for the oil coolers.

I have added the photo etch from Eduard to the various external items. They are much better than the decals and some of the other marginal detail on the vents. In addition the gear doors "were" quite heavily detailed with surface items. The actual doors just barely show the circles if you get the light just right and look hard. That had to go.

Anyway time for more photos.

If I had to do the gear doors over, I would have just barely left the little circles. As of now they just have to be smoothed down a lot as they will be aluminum finish which shows all kinds of flaws.
Time to create page: 0.233 seconds