Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
"Wesendorf Field"

Park your aircraft at our Tom Wesendorf Memorial Aerodrome and Poolside Lounge. Share your aircraft builds here.

TOPIC: Tamiya P-38F build

Tamiya P-38E and New Paint build review 09 Oct 2019 09:55 #13

Nice progress.

I have looked at the Arbor press from Micro-Mark and always held off - glad I did!
  • JSteinman
  • JSteinman
  • Master at Arms
    Master at Arms
  • alt
"Life is too short and the sun will go supernova someday, stop worrying about the s*** you cannot change."

-Me

"We don need no stinkin' badges"
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Tamiya P-38E and New Paint build review 09 Oct 2019 11:50 #14

Looking forward to this build but I must say that I am somewhat disappointed in the level of detail that Tamiya gave us(cockpit wise) with a new mold 2019 kit. I understand the IP panel but the surrounding areas just look meh.

I guess we will have to wait and see if Eduard releases a Brassin cockpit for this kit, if not, wonder if the one for the Academy kit will fit?
  • Big10
  • Big10
  • Company Commander
    Company Commander

Tamiya P-38E and New Paint build review 09 Oct 2019 12:58 #15

Big10 wrote:
I guess we will have to wait and see if Eduard releases a Brassin cockpit for this kit, if not, wonder if the one for the Academy kit will fit?

I would wait to see if the Brassin would fit before investing...long story. :bangs head
I told you photobucket sucks...

"If you don't like it why don't you just let it be"
Hank Williams Jr.

Tamiya P-38E and New Paint build review 09 Oct 2019 15:29 #16

JSteinman wrote:
Nice progress.

I have looked at the Arbor press from Micro-Mark and always held off - glad I did!

John I bought the arbor press to use with my Waldron punches. When I got it originally I was rather disappointed with the horible fit and function of the tool. To make it useable the handle part had to be bushed and all the teeth on the rack had to be reshaped slightly. It still isn't quite riht but is a LOT better than I received it.

Another thing about it is that I read someplace that the Micro Mart arbor is actually a rip off copy of one done by another company. Seems like I did do some looking around and found the other one. Wished I had known before I bought this one.

On a positive note, the press works with the Waldron punches wonderfully. I always hated having to hit them to punch out plastic and brass.

Bob, I have to remind you that all the newer brassin that Eduard does is a totally newer generation of quality and fit from the old POS you keep pitchin' a fit about. The quality and fit is much better than that Silver Wings kit you gave me.

Big10, I believe this kit does need a Brassin cockpit. There is way too much detail either left out or softened in the molding process. I will be doing some scratch work to get mine up to snuff.

Ponder this: I have not even looked at the landing gear bays yet. :ohmy: :blink: :S :bangs head
Last Edit: 09 Oct 2019 15:30 by Heavens Eagle.

Tamiya P-38E and New Paint build review 09 Oct 2019 18:30 #17

Heavens Eagle wrote:

Bob, I have to remind you that all the newer brassin that Eduard does is a totally newer generation of quality and fit from the old POS you keep pitchin' a fit about. The quality and fit is much better than that Silver Wings kit you gave me.

I know Paul, it still stings, not so much it didn't fit but the reaction I got from their "support". I know, I carry a grudge too long.

Fit on that Silver Wings, there was no fit! :rotf

Hank Williams Jr.

Tamiya P-38F and New Paint build review 30 Oct 2019 21:38 #18

It's time for another update. I have been working on it a little at a time. The paint thing has been giving me some grief as it doesn't cover all that well. In addition it doesn't want to paint well with a brush and it tends to polymerize rapidly once it is placed in the airbrush.

Within 5 to 10 minutes of trying to start spraying it starts turning to goo. This was with a mix of 1 to 1 paint and paint thinner (both Scale Colors) I finally decided it was enough and broke out my good old reliable paints.

Anyway here is the update.

As another positive thing, all the parts I have assembled so far in the kit fit exceedingly well. Complex parts that fit with no gaps. I even fitted the fuselage top (with cockpit) and fuselage lower (with nose gear well) fit with perfect alignment and no gaps.

I have also ordered a decal set with some interesting nose art for this kit. (turns out Academy has had a 1/48 F/G kit for a while)

h9114075.jpg
The following user(s) said Thank You: sharkmouth

Tamiya P-38F and New Paint build review 30 Oct 2019 21:50 #19

Yeah the Academy kit is what Eduards kicked out with their ill fitting resin a while back. I should finish mine, it's so close.

Sorry to read the bad news on the paint, did the guy ever get back in touch again? You're right, sometimes it's best to cut losses.

Kit is looking good! :popcorn

Hank Williams Jr.

Tamiya P-38F and New Paint build review 30 Oct 2019 23:02 #20

He got in touch with me over the original bottle clotting up. If I had bought this paint I would be chucking it. On the other hand the GarageKitsUSA colors paint is phenomenally good. It comes in a larger bottle (1 full oz) has a large shaker ball in it that you can actually hear break loose when it does. And it has been done for artist grade painting.

Some colors are called semitransparent, which means they spray on thinner so you can use them to tint and adjust coloring. I will be using them to weather the colors on the P-38 especially around the superchargers and in other areas.

Right now trying to figure out how to blend the crap color into the Pactra color without buggering it all up.

Tamiya P-38F and New Paint build review 31 Oct 2019 00:16 #21

Brilliant job, Paul!... congratulations :good

Being done according your usual excelent way of modelling :thumbsup

Luiz.
  • lupanzer
  • lupanzer
  • Master at Arms
    Master at Arms

Tamiya P-38E and New Paint build review 01 Nov 2019 00:07 #22

JSteinman wrote:
Nice progress.

John I did some looking around and found this one. This actually looks like a really good arbor press for hobby items like punch and die which is what I use mine for.

h57ce84b.jpg

Here is the link: Bald Eagle Be1001 Mini Arbor Press

If you would like I can look around to see if there are any others that would be useful.

One more thing this appears to be made for use in ammunition loading. I seriously doubt it will be junk like the micro mark press is. Also the Micro Mark press is about $50 while this one can be had for about $75. I think that is a no brainer and would jump on it if I didn't already have 2 different presses.
Last Edit: 01 Nov 2019 00:13 by Heavens Eagle.

Tamiya P-38F build review 01 Nov 2019 00:25 #23

Or there is this one. The Proxxon micro press.

hfed1143.jpg

I think this is what the Micro Mark press is modeled after. This link shows the picture and has the name though the description is off. These are rather pricey if you look around for them. So be careful on the link I have here.

Tamiya P-38F build review 01 Nov 2019 06:42 #24

how can they have it half the price Proxxon sells it for?

Hank Williams Jr.
Time to create page: 0.540 seconds