• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Eduard's new P-51

Big10

This is a nice little kit. There is definitely a lot going on in this cockpit as far as parts go.

Received my kit yesterday evening and that's about as far as I got.

h7979f41.jpg

One thing I have notice is the width of the outer ammunition gun bay cover. To me it looks like it may be to wide?
h27120e0.jpg

I used some wood grain decals I've had forever, back to when I did the Gotha. After applying I gave it a few coats of clear yellow and then sprayed the flat black. Took 3000 grit sandpaper and started to slowly sand untill I liked what I saw.

Also I started with a base color of Tamiya flesh.
h3183ff3.jpg

The gun bay and ammunition bays don't look right to me, I think the ammunition bays were rectangular, not tapered. The gun bay was in two parts, with the front part rectangular and the rear part tapered. Here are some pictures I took of an authentically restored P-51D.

043p51.jpg

044p51.jpg

maintenance3.jpg

P51_Av_4507_refinements_ammo-bay-4_p199_W.png

Jeaton, I fill the same way. It's a great kit don't get me wrong but it's obvious that those doors do not look right. I asked some guys on a FB page that are owners and guys that work on them and seem to think the same thing. One took a picture of one he was working on to show me.
h12fd78c.jpg

Also he took the outer door off that I have in question and measured it. 15 15/16" wide inboard and 16 3/4" wide outboard.

Looks good with the cockpit. I seem to see what you are talking about on the scribing for the ammo and gun access panels. In the photos of the actual plane the panels look to be fully rectangular. The scribing along the rear of the panel angles in the part. It looks to be angled so that the outer rear corner of the ammo hatch is further back than the rear corner by the guns.

The other thing could be that what I see could just be the changing curvatures on the wing as the chord gets shorter. Also the one photo with the panels elevated slightly gives the slight angle difference on the rear edge.

I would measure it to make sure it isn't an optical delusion :blink and check some other references

The choice is to either leave it or take some slightly stretched sprue and using CA full the line and rescribe it parallel to the front edge of the panel.

Either way is good, just up to what you think it should be.

(y)

Looks good with the cockpit. I seem to see what you are talking about on the scribing for the ammo and gun access panels. In the photos of the actual plane the panels look to be fully rectangular. The scribing along the rear of the panel angles in the part. It looks to be angled so that the outer rear corner of the ammo hatch is further back than the rear corner by the guns.

The other thing could be that what I see could just be the changing curvatures on the wing as the chord gets shorter. Also the one photo with the panels elevated slightly gives the slight angle difference on the rear edge.

I would measure it to make sure it isn't an optical delusion :blink and check some other references

The choice is to either leave it or take some slightly stretched sprue and using CA full the line and rescribe it parallel to the front edge of the panel.

Either way is good, just up to what you think it should be.

(y)

It very well could be a optical delusion.

My plan for now is just leave it alone.

I will be getting a few... just waiting for variants. You are correct in that the forward gun bay doors should have right angles (90 degrees) on all four corners. Only the rear was trapezoidal shape. Not too difficult to fill, sand, and re-scribe but why do it on a new kit? Other alternative is to use Eduard's gun bay detail set.

Regards,

Let me get another opinion here. I got a few of these kits and working on the front cowling and doing some rescribing work. If you notice on the left cowl is complete and the right is not. The 2nd pic is my current build and I had to do lot of punching as I don't have a rivet wheel.

For a new kit new mold and Eduard's name, not too happy about this.

What are your opinions on this.
h1ca72d7.jpg

h95f51c6.jpg

That's clearly an issue. I'd contact them and see if they will send another fuselage half that's correct. Sort of that some of Archer's rivets could save the day.

I bought 4 kits and they are all like that. More I get into this kit the more I find that is just not of Eduards quality. I am not bashing them but this kit feels rushed. The exhaust ends are not full circles.

On facebook I am not the only one with this problems. We all have the same thing. Its a mold problem and its not right. I was told just to buy the brassin exhaust. I hate Facebook.

Back