• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Scratchaeronautics 1/72 Casa C-295W

chrispisme

Yes, another resin kit to stick together...could take a while!
Wish me luck?
the parts as packed
h4d866cc.JPG

the wing tips need to be cut off and the winglets added

heb17169.JPG

opening windows and cleaning up the surface scribing
h3013a0e.JPG

Thanks for looking

A bit more cutting filing sanding filling and forgetting what I was doing tonight. Super glue is my friend on these resin kits! Although this kit has much sharper, more well defined parts and more of them, it still carries a few of the problems of it's little brother the 235, mainly a sloped roof above the wing (it should be flat in front profile) I'm still pondering how to deal with that at this point...
Very little progress tonight but progress none the less.
cockpit windows opened up and filling some flaws and bubbles
h357d513.JPG

ha3faf27.JPG

this kit supplies cargo deck details, floor and ceiling...I think? Instructions are in Spanish and I'm illiterate so it's all guess work.
h616f79a.JPG

Here's that sloped roof that should be flat. Not the end of civilization but a bit of tinkering will be needed to make me happy
h087a8e8.JPG

Looks like you got a good bit of material to work with to flatten it. :popcorn
Hey Pup you're right, there's a mass of material in the upper wing area but, test fitting (just recently) has shown the nose section will fit almost perfectly if the top of the centre section of the fuselage is pulled down, causing the sides to swell out. That does cause the wing area centre to meet before the rest of the length of the fuselage in front and behind though so will be a lot more sanding or filing the centre to get it all meeting evenly along the top seam.
I should (logic dictates) reinforce the bottom so it doesn't rise up as well (while I'm forcing the top down) This will be more work I suppose but when has any of us seen any modeller take the easy rout? :hmmm

I spent part of the day in the hobby room working on the 295 fuselage halves to try to get rid of the slope at the wing centre section, through the use of hot water, drill bits and brass pins for alignment and super glue (debonder for my fingers) to hold it all together I finally got an acceptable joint. You'll see what appears to be a open seam on the top of the fuselage, it's not an open seam, it's filled with super glue and sanded smooth at this time, panel lines have been restored, rivet lines are being added with an RB riveter and the wings have been drilled and pinned with the winglets added as well...this may sound like I've accomplished a lot, in fact I may actually have, but there's along way to go yet...and many opportunities to mess it all up!
pic 1 joins sanded and matched to pins and pin holes (brass pins)
h7843c17.JPG

flat upper wing surface achieved, finally happy, all glued together...if it ever splits they'll here it in Japan!
he7b22be.JPG

dry test fitting the wings (now with their winglets in place)
h4159a25.JPG

h829d427.JPG

h66d9ad3.JPG

I've hit a couple of snags on the 295. The first the props, the real aircraft has scimitar blades, highly efficient and quiet... the kit has banana blades, very thick at the base, some short shot some with bubbles and some warped. I started by sanding a couple of blades to scale thickness and realized it was a waste of time. I decided to make my own from sheet styrene. I used one of the cleaned up resin blades and using that blade as a master I copied and carved out 11 more. That done, I began fitting cargo doors. The real plane has double doors like a Hercules, one opens up into the tail the other down and forms a ramp. If I'd built it with the doors open and the interior in place I'd have had much less trouble, the doors are quite deformed, I used CA and plastic strips to fill gaps and plug holes. Not the end of the world but added a bit of time to my journey.
new blades, still needing a twist
hb8cf57c.JPG

fitting the doors and rear tail cone
h1c0ba79.JPG

h15aa360.JPG

h541dc42.JPG

h0b5899c.JPG

h5f4b49c.JPG

Great!...to work with resin it´s not an easy task...btw, did you see my resin Gloser Meteor?

Best!

Luiz.

Thank you! Very appreciated!
I spent my hobby time tonight fitting the flight deck to the forward fuselage component and working on boxing in the nose gear bay, no nose gear bay at all in the kit and the nose gear oleo was bubble damaged and short shot so I started cobbling one together from brass rod and aluminum tube. It’ll be stronger that way as well, with all the pb I will be adding to keep it sitting on its wheels!
Pictures another day... too sleepy right now

after making prop blades I decided I might as well make the flap actuators as well. I sanded one resin actuator flat on one side and pinned it to a strip of .015" styrene copied the shape 8 times for the necessary number of actuators. As well, the model is quite heavy and getting heavier, I also plan to add lead to keep it on it's nose wheel.

I noticed that the axles on one side's main gear were short shot and missing but I'd planned on replacing them with brass rod anyway. The nose gear oleo was also no good, with bubble intrusion into the casting.
The nose gear oleo
h8758447.JPG

main gear legs
h09f9aed.JPG

new nose oleo under construction
hd3a9099.JPG

props with a twist
h1774366.JPG

plastic flap fairings
h17e97fd.JPG

Back