• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/32 F/A 18 A

chrispisme

A colour bird CF-18...OR CF-188 if you prefer. With Blackbox "A" conversion cockpit and tails...and a few other little odds n ends...
h48d7337.JPG

please disreguard the Russian ejector seat off to the one side, I won't be using it here

he4d4a32.JPG

he4b0319.JPG

That's a koolazz paint scheme for that there Hornet, I too will be keeping an eye of this build :popcorn

Yep, Canadian.... hold my beer a minute and watch this!
I was much younger and naive when I bought all the add on’s (other than the decals that is) I’ve decided to forgo all the photo etch, which has but one purpose and that is to drive me insane. The resin stuff will be used as it converts the kit to an A and is much easier for me to deal with.
I haven’t built any gray fast movers in years so this will be a break from my normal routine...wish me luck

One of our more colourful birds. Cool fact, there is a tribute in the markings to all those who died during 10/11. Looking forward to watching the build. Does the conversion also give you Canadian shock absorbers?
James

And maybe of some use to you.
http://www.ipmscanada.com/ipms/Reference_%20Article/Aircraft/Ref%20Aircraft.html
http://www.ipmscanada.com/ipms/Reference_%20Article/Aircraft/Aircraft_Page/CF18HornetDiv.html
James

Gabriel Sensatrack heavy duty shocks! It also has a mini beer cooler in the rear compartment...
aaannnd a block heater!
all you guys in the warm climate areas will need to look that one up! hahaha

Gabriel Sensatrack heavy duty shocks! It also has a mini beer cooler in the rear compartment...
aaannnd a block heater! hahaha

:rotf :rotf :rotf

So when I got to Grand Forks freakin' North Dakota in May'83 (Season just changed from Winter to Summer) they took me to the barracks and I noticed all the electrical boxes out in the parking lot. My southerern' butt said "Hey, they give you power outlets to work on your cars or something? That's neat!"
The guy who was giving me the tour said "No that's for the block heaters"..."That what..." :blink

And since when did Canadians have minibeers? :drinks

Hahaha yep, I had some tourists came through many years ago in winter (long before electric cars) saw the cars all had 110V plugs hanging out of the front radiator grilles and thought we all had electric cars! I wish!!

Australian pilots once had the misfortune of doing a stopover for a maintenance issue, deplaned in -40° and almost died...
One of them said what the H*ll is this stuff? Ice? you put ice in your drink, you don't walk on it!

James, the LEM decals suggests cutting the shocks off the MLG and inverting them, that should be good enough for me.
I'm using this book and the web as my reference guide.
h89ff38b.JPG

James, the LEM decals suggests cutting the shocks off the MLG and inverting them, that should be good enough for me.
I'm using this book and the web as my reference guide.
h89ff38b.JPG
Should be close enough. Good book, I have that one also. Funny, never built a CF-18 yet. See too many of them I guess.
James

A bit more done on the kit the last couple of days. I thought I'd start with the landing gear and do what I can there. I'll add wire and solder in a bit for some extra detail.
Nose gear with plastic rod drilled and stuck on to simulate connectors
h6dd07e3.JPG

US. main gear
h73cbe62.JPG

Canadian main gear...I flipped the shock over
h65e1354.JPG

Having a good time with this kit, it's not resin (xsept the bits I've added and we all do that) it's not short run, the parts all have good fit and locating pins/holes so I guess I'm trying to make it harder or something...!?
My reference book(s) shows a mass of hoses and wires in the gear bays, I'm not going to add all that stuff but a bit to clutter it up should do.
Anyway, some pictures of the work (work?) done so far.
The Daco book with gear bay pictures
h84e28bf.JPG

The APU exhaust as supplied
h8c46ca7.JPG

New exhaust, aluminum tube mangled and filed to shape

h57f050c.JPG

hc814607.JPG

And I opened up some air intakes
he4bb37b.JPG

Back