• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

The Duke's First Completed Model for 2019

Duke Maddog

Well, it's the second day of a new year and yesterday I actually finished a Shelf Queen of four years. This beastie fought me like the Boeing 737 did but I am more thrilled with the finish of this model that the other.

I present to you my first model of 2019, the Heller 1/72 scale C-118 transport plane:

USAF_C-118_Transport_I.jpg

USAF_C-118_Transport_II.jpg

USAF_C-118_Transport_III.jpg

It feels good to start the year with this thing out of what's left of my hair. Unlike the Boeing, I think I'll be taking this to contests. It most likely won't place, but it's gonna look great on the tables!

Thanks all for looking in, comments are welcome!

Good job Mark, nice finish, could use some panel line washes to make those wings pop but she's sitting pretty. :pilot

Thanks guys! I appreciate it.

Pup, with all the issues I've had with this model, I'm almost afraid to try it! We'll see. I might try giving it a shot sometime.

You got a clear coat on it, if so what medium, acrylic or enamel?

Pull out something to play with and test it out.

Great way to start off the new year Mark. It will be impressive indeed on the show tables. (y) (y)

The clearcoat is a Krylon spray. I do have some black wash mixed up with Windsor Newton oils and Mona Lisa Thinner. I could possibly give that a try.

Dave thanks! Yeah, this was a great model to start the year with.

The clearcoat is a Krylon spray. I do have some black wash mixed up with Windsor Newton oils and Mona Lisa Thinner. I could possibly give that a try.

Dave thanks! Yeah, this was a great model to start the year with.

Not sure what Krylon is based on, You have to be careful not to use a thinner that will attack the coat you're washing.

I know. Mona Lisa Thinner is the most inert thinner there is. It won't attack anything. I've tried! LOL! With my kind of luck: I would have succeeded, so this stuff is the ultimate thinner for use with washes.

I did wash a few places on the wings and tail, but one wing has much deeper lines than the other so I stopped where the lines were most consistent. I'll not dare to try and scribe this; I'll totally destroy it if I do! That is the kind of luck I've had with this and other models, the four years this model spent on the workbench are a testament to that. It is done. I don't want to risk bringing this back to the workbench to fix another disaster.

Thanks again for the suggestions and encouragement. I'll see if I can post some new pics with the wings and tail pin washed.

Thanks Frank! (y) Yeah, I hope I can get those 39 done sooner so I can add a few more to this year's count. Bottom line, I just want to get things finished!

I think this might be your best Model since the F-102! Not an easy model to build either.
If you decide to use black Sharpie marker on the de-icer boots,(and cheat a little) remember to clear them with acrylic clear.
:good:

Thanks for the excellent suggestion Rhino. I hadn't thought of that. I might give that a try, but right now, I'm going to revel in having it finished. Thanks again for the compliment as well. We'll see how she fares on the 'circuit'.

Back