• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

J2m3

Old Dog

OK, made it with a couple hours to spare ! This is the 1/32 Hasegawa kit. A joy to build as the fit was great. Hardest part was hacking the leading edge of the wing for the gun fairings and filling in the gun troughs on the cowling, nothing too taxing. I actually took some in progress photos so without further ado...

I had Eduard PE for the IP but decided to use the kit panel and decal...much better !

j2m3-b01.jpg

Only Eduard used was the seat belts

j2m3-b02.jpg

j2m3-b03.jpg

Some what surprising to me was for Hasegawa to include a relatively well detailed engine seeing that it is totally buried when finished. I gave it a coat of aluminum just in case. It is needed to attach the exhausts and the extension to the fan and prop.

j2m3-b04.jpg

Nope, no engine visible here !

j2m3-b05.jpg

j2m3-b06.jpg

And on to the finish shots. I decided for once I wanted to forego making it look like a paint striping job gone bad. These served mostly in homeland defense and not subjected to the rigors that many were and besides they all were new once !

j2m3-b07.jpg

j2m3-b08.jpg

j2m3-b09.jpg

j2m3-b10.jpg

j2m3-b11.jpg

j2m3-b12.jpg

j2m3-b13.jpg

OK, that's a wrap for 2018. I still have two on the bench but they will be the first ones for the new year.

As always, thanks for looking and Happy New Year everyone !

After looking at this a bit more, almost look like if the Granville Brother's design had been developed a bit further, like the Gee Bee racer?

Thanks guys !

Bob, the J2M was designed by Jiro Horikoshi, creator of the A6M Zero. It was to be a strictly local-defense interceptor, intended to counter the threat of high-altitude bomber raids, and thus relied on speed, climb performance, and armament at the expense of maneuverability. Primarily designed to defend against the Boeing B-29, the type was handicapped at high altitude by the lack of a turbocharger. However, its four-cannon armament supplied effective firepower and the use of dive and zoom tactics allowed it to score occasionally. Insufficient numbers and the American switch to night bombing in March 1945 limited its effectiveness.

Beautiful job Gary! You nailed that perfectly!

Congrats on finishing out 2018 with such an excellent model!

Back