• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

FM-2

jeaton01

This is one I started a few months ago while proceeding slowly with an early B-26 conversion, thinking it would be a quick build, but that has not been so. No fault of the Tamiya kit that is used as the basis, but the KMC set to be used turned out to require a lot of work because it had some poor guidance.

0112f4f.jpg

The KMC conversion parts and instructions. The rudder needed modification as the aerodynamic counterbalance came down too far. The lower part was cut off and attached to the fin so that it looked more like photos to me. I didn't use the cowl except as a guide for positioning the cowl flaps, which caused trouble because they were too low on the cowl and did not align with the exhaust depressions. The cowl didn't fit the Tamiya kit very well. They tell you to put inlet ducts in the bottom of the cowl which is not accurate for the FM-2. They do tell you to remove the magnetos from the kit engine but you are still left with the wrong number of cylinders and incorrect nose section.

0122f4f.jpg

The FM-2 had metal plates where the lower fuselage window were on earlier Wildcats so they were backed with plastic card and filled with Epoxysculpt. The oil cooler was behind the engine in the accessory compartment so the remnants of the wing oil coolers were ground away and the remaining depressions filled with Epoxysculpt as well. The FM-2 had two exhaust stacks on the bottom like the earlier Wildcats but they were smaller and under the cowl with larger reliefs into the fuselage behind the cowl. More grinding and filling. Since the FM-2 had no outboard guns the accompanying shell chutes and bulges, ammunition loading doors below and gun access doors on top of the wings must be removed where the outboard guns were on the F4F-4 and FM-1.

0132f4f.jpg

The change to the KMC FM-2 rudder.

0142f4f.jpg

Epoxysculpt was used to fill in behind the KMC exhaust reliefs as they were too shallow to allow representation of the exhaust pipes under the cowl sides. It was also used to modify the propeller hub, although for many FM-2's the Tamiya hub would be correct.

0152f4f.jpg

The front cowl ring from the Sword FM-2 was adapted to the Tamiya cowl.

0172f4f.jpg

All the Tamiya cowl flap detail was filled with CA and sanded smooth. Cowl flaps were cut from the KMC resin cowl. This is the first attempt to get them in the correct location, but it took me three tries before they looked right compared to photos. They were located much too low on the KMC cowl.

0182f4f.jpg

The Vector engine and other parts in progress. Eduard seat belts and pre-painted instrument panel details were added. I have heard people say that the floor on the FM-2 was solid outside the rudder foot rails but I did not find that supported by photographs. There was some disappointment
registered while building up the cockpit when I dropped the rudder pedals on the floor and then gracelessly stepped on them. Tamiya was kind enough to send a replacement part rather swiftly even though I had admitted the mode of failure.

0192f4f.jpg

The Vector engine. Brass pushrod housings and bell wire ignition wiring was added, and Epoxyscuplt was used to make the lamb chop baffles between the cylinders. This is not the Vector engine that comes with the Vector conversion set for the HobbyBoss FM-2, which does have the lamb chops in resin. An .060 diameter length of music wire has been installed in a hole drilled in the crankcase for later propeller installation.

0212f4f.jpg

The Vector engine in the cowl. The cowl flaps are now in their final position. The inside of the fuselage, cowl, and landing bay are painted zinc chromate green. Here is the source:

http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2004/05/stuff_eng_interior_colours_us_part3.htm

0222f4f.jpg

A photo of an FM-2 cockpit. It is identifiable as an FM-2 by the fuel filler tube visible to the left of the rudder pedal, the larger tube below the smaller curved pipe. This was moved forward from a position beside the seat of the F4F and FM-1. This image is from a very good page on F4F variants, here is the link to it:

http://www.scharch.org/Ed_Scharch/usn-aircraft/05-f4f-wildcat.html

0232f4f.jpg

Work progresses on the underside of the wing. Never mind the inboard guns that are protruding. MIndfade to be corrected later, only the F4F-3 had that feature.

0262f4f.jpg

The left side exhaust, which had two stacks.

0252f4f.jpg

The right side exhaust, which had three stacks.

0272f4f.jpg

The fin and rudder.

Just the name for the baffles that are between the cylinders, Bob. Where they got that name, other than a faint shape resemblance I don't know, but that's what us old farts who worked on radials from time to time called them.

What were they for? Directing airflow for cooling?

I had the hardest time understanding how the ductwork for the intercoolers and carbs worked on the F4F-4 I was trying to build back in the day.

Looking good John! :pilot

Yes, the baffles directed the air closely around the fins on the cylinder barrels and heads for maximum and even cooling.

Bob, the lower ducts in the cowling carried air back to the intercoolers behind the firewall, went through them (flowing around and between the tubes carrying induction air) and then went overboard.

The upper scoop carried air to the induction system, where the route the air takes gets more complex. The F4F-4 had a two stage supercharger and that complicates things. Here is a chart I found for the R-1830 with a two stage supercharger, not all R-1830's did.

r1830schematic.(1).jpg

Yeah I bought 3 of those big Trumpeter kits and never did get one finished because i couldn't get the open panels the way I wanted.

Sorry for the hijack...:popcorn

Wow, all they way back to page four to find this.

Into the paint shop now. There is a lot of white on this one, flat insignia white on the bottom of the flight surfaces, gloss white on the fuselage and vertical tail sides, and dark gull grey on the uppers. I used flat white instead of gloss because the clear coat will fix that, but I'll have to end up with a flat coat on the bottom because I didn't have any flat insignia white. Does anyone make flat insignia white? I've never seen it. I always use paper masks for masking camouflage schemes, but I ended up using clay worms (non-staining) for that little grey spot in front of the fin. For such a simple scheme I managed to make it somewhat time consuming. All Model Master enamel paints.

0282f4f.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrC3puZ8cwY
I learned some new things about FM-2's watching Kermit pre-flight his Wildcat.
Your Lil' Grumman is looking fine! :notworthy (y)

Finally got the FM-2 finished. Worked out OK, but I just had some trouble getting to the bench. At the last I had an issue with the landing gear doors down there on the bottom. A Tamiya part that doesn't fit? Had to be my fault but I sure can't figure out how. A little weathering, not too much. Model Master paints, dark gull gray on top, insignia white under the flying surfaces, and gloss white on the fuselage. Alclad flat coat, not too much on the gloss white portions. I had Techmod decals, the larger ones worked fine, but the stencils rolled up on themselves, and rather than fight them I made new stencils with a color laser printer. Better resolution than the Techmod stencils. A few on the left side need more attention but I fixed them with Mr. Mark Softer after the pictures were taken. To lazy to reshoot.. ::)

On to the pictures!
0292f4f.jpg

0302f4f.jpg

0312f4f.jpg

0322f4f.jpg

0332f4f.jpg

0342f4f.jpg

0352f4f.jpg

0362f4f.jpg

0372f4f.jpg

That's odd, looks like John self host his images on his own website Luiz.

http://goldeneramodel.com/

Fine job John! (y)

Back