• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Spits and Stones... A few Brits in 1/72

Flyingbabydoc

Hello dear friends,

Another Long Absence from the Forum, which I regret. It has been impossible to do much since I started the new Position. Also, I wanted to post only when I felt that my models were better than what I had done thus far.

I decided to try on only one model - The Spitfire Mk. I from Airfix in 1/72 and build up from there. It is my favorite aircraft and a pleasure to build.

After I got a bit more satisfied, I ventured into a Hurricane Mk I and an Eduard Mk IXc with PE.

Here are the results.

The first one, my favorite, is a PR Mk.IA with conversion Hood and cameras from an Aires set.

h611edca.JPG

hd4329ab.JPG

h300dc6b.JPG

h95f14ed.JPG

h073594f.JPG

The second one is a Mk Ia from the 92nd Squadron at the time of Dunkirk built OOB with Seat Belts from Eduard and the wonderful Xtradecal markings.

h80302ac.JPG

h87f77f2.JPG

h8d7dac4.JPG

hfdc122f.JPG

hc52140d.JPG

Now the Spitfire Mk. IXc from Pierre Clostermann (who wrote one of my favourite books, the Big Circus) flown in 1944 with the 602. Squadron City of Glasgow.

This is an Eduard Profipack model.

h668c353.JPG

h62cfb7d.JPG

h01f4f85.JPG

hc49a59a.JPG

he3444fd.JPG

h1caa1fa.JPG

h7f8dcbb.JPG

h71dc179.JPG

And finally the first one I built, a Spitfire Mk.Ia from the 602. Squadron during the battle of Britain. OOB from Airfix.

I hope you like it. Comments are always appreciated.

Cheers

Alex

h7341be1.JPG

hcac9f8a.JPG

ha39ee86.JPG

he0c6025.JPG

hec0828d.JPG

hd88477b.JPG

he4fc367.JPG

h16ef45a.JPG

Great looking work. Why did the Brits paint the bottoms of their aircraft black and white?

The black/white scheme was introduced for trial in 1937 to aid in the identification of friendly fighters by the Observer Corps. There was a brief period in 1940 when the new underside Sky colour was introduced that the scheme wasn't applied. After a few months, the black port wing reappeared at the request of the Observer Corps and the pilots who found it a useful aid in identifying friendlies in combat. The black ordered removed in April 1942 as the RAF began to switch to more offensive operations.

The scheme was only applied to fighters assigned to Home Defense units. Fighters that were sent to France in 1939 as part of the Field Force did not receive the scheme.

Cheers,
Rich

Belos trabalhos!... gostei de ver!...outro dia estava pensando em você, pois há muito tempo não via seus trabalhos... :coolio

Enfim, muito bom ter você de volta...abraço!

Luiz.

Thanks guys.

Also thanks for the Information on the black & White scheme.

To celebrate that, I built another Spit Mk.Ia from the 602.Sq (LO-Q) in that scheme. This is a later model so no roundels underneath.

Still having a LOT of Trouble with the coats at the end but with some tips from good friends in the other threads I am hoping I will solve this soon.

Cheers,

Alex

h3455168.JPG

h3182ecd.JPG

h4b62b86.JPG

h515bc77.JPG

h84af5d9.JPG

h79ac9d0.JPG

Nice job Alex, I'm tellin' ya. your painting style would be great with older fabric covered aircraft.

Back