• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Shelf queen special. Special Hobby 1/32 Tempest

Paulw

I have been going from one kit box to another to figure out what I want to do. I do hate being idle but with all the irons I have in the fire I shouldn't have that problem. What I am doing is this; I get bored with a build then I go back to one that I have on the shelf. I'll build on it a while then on to another. I try not to open another new kit until I have finished a shelf queen. In this case I have two of the Special Hobby Tempest Mk Vs. One is the high tech and the other is the basic kit. This one I started a few months back, around last November, and I just lost interest in it. I bought the barracuda resin cowl set that contains the cowl and four bladed prop and spinner with the gauge for getting the prop blades on right.

I guess the most challenging part to the build is the pit,for me at least, because it is still some what a limited run kit. Personally I don't have a good record finishing limited run stuff and that is because I get frustrated with the kit and usually wind up giving it away. The wing and wheel well assemblies are a bit of a work out in their own right but I had then in their places in short order. As far as the new Barracuda cowl goes, it is a real nice piece of resin and fits the fuse pretty well. The radiator had to be reshaped quite a bit to fit snugly but after all was said and done I got a good feeling that this will be one nice kit when done.

Once the canopy goes on then there wont be too much to see in there.

The kit had nice instructions and the high tech kit has ALL of the goodies including a very nicely detailed Napier Sabre engine. I may just have to get started on that one after Christmas some time.

Cheers

Paul

Looking good Paul!
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif

Excellent work Paul! Is that the one I saw back in January? That cowl does fit exceptionally well. Looking forward to seeing more.

Finally I see some progress on this build. All of the flying surfaces are secured in place and I finally got some alclad II surface primer and micro filler. after a thorough airbrush cleaning I shot it and then burnished all of the roughness out. I then used my tape for curves, which reminds me of the vinyl electricians tape we used in the navy, and came as close as I could to the camo pattern that is depicted in the instructions. I know there are some areas that look too squared off or too round but that , I believe, is the nature of the tape. I didn't want to use the blue tac because it is pretty old and getting time to toss it . It is now leaving residue and that really messes with the paint.

I did lay down the dark sea gray before I taped it and I hope I can find the dark green that I need. The last that I saw of it it was running around the Swordfish box.

That is excellent, I think you nailed the curves of that pattern quite effectively. Beautiful work Paul; I wish I could get some of that tape.

This build is solely intended as a practice for some D-Day theme build at the club I belong to. They a int perfect but I dont know when they ever were.

I just did the upper wing surface and I figured that tomorrow I can get the lower wings and the fuselage bands all done.

This build is solely intended as a practice for some D-Day theme build at the club I belong to. They a int perfect but I dont know when they ever were.

I just did the upper wing surface and I figured that tomorrow I can get the lower wings and the fuselage bands all done.

:ro: :ro: :ro:

Invasion!!

I got all of the invasion stripes done. They are just like the originals, not straight nor even in width. Since this is just a practice model I really don't care. I also applied the decals. They are as thick as the old Hasegawa and Academy decals but they did respond well to Tamiya Markfit decal solution. I am pleased how they came out. I do have a couple more to add and then I can put on the gear, prop and all the fiddly bits that make you cringe when you build a kit.

Back