• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Hasegawa 1/48 P-40N

jeaton01

I had so much fun seeing my Planet XP-40Q get to the finish that it just seemed right to go straight on to the next in line P-40 variant. It's been pretty smooth sailing as I am just doing an out of the box build but with Eduard seat belts and this is such a nice kit. I've read that the aft cockpit insert can be a mis-fit, so I worked on that by removing some material from the mating surfaces of the fuselage in that area. I also assembled the tail sections to the forward fuselage parts so I could get a good fit there and that also allowed application of glue from the inside. With the sides and top aligned there is a slight misalignment of some panel lines on the right fuselage half to clean up later, but they may be under the insignia decal.

I went through the instructions to find any other inserted parts but all I found were the lower gun panels, which fit very well and were glued from the inside. The instrument panel has a lot of relief, like the real thing with panels at different levels and some instruments recessed and other sticking out of the panel. I used the alternate decals without the black surrounding areas and had pretty good luck, probably because I used Mr. Mark Softer. Not much was happening with Microsol. Good enough for my 71 year old eyes. I wish I had leveled some of the switches on the mid level switch panel, I didn't realize that Hasegawa had molded the switches on them.

0012p40.jpg

0022p40.jpg

0032p40.jpg

0042p40.jpg

0052p40.jpg

0062p40.jpg

0072p40.jpg

0082p40.jpg

0092p40.jpg

0102p40.jpg

0112p40.jpg

More progress on the P-40N. Anything but go back to work on the Monogram/Lone Star B-26 I also have underway. I do need to do something on that one or two days a week, I think I'm suffering from PE fatigue on that one.

I have the neutral grey and some of the ANA 613 OD on the Hasegawa N, prop painting is in progress. I was surprised to find that the canopy parts which are in three sections are a little too long to fit, at least the way I have things put together. Of course I figured that out after gluing on the windscreen and aft section, whereupon I found that the funny shaped sliding section wouldn't fit. I filed off some material from the back edge of that section and it then fit, but the intelligent way to deal with it would have been to test fit and remove the errant material from the back of the aft canopy section, or better yet take some material off of the back of the aft cockpit plug, which actually would improve its fit to the width of the fuselage.
I've also gotten some Accurate Miniatures P-51 wheels adapted to the Hasegawa struts and painted them. I understand the N used those wheels which are smaller than what is in the Hasegawa kit.

Cool. I did this bird in 1/32 using Montex Masks. Just love the nose art. I'll watch this with interest :popcorn
James

James, did Montex supply the masks for the nose art? That would be ambitious.

More paint. Not many words for what is a fair bit of work that is not too picture worthy, referring to the preceding seam work on all those inserts. The next task is to do something to rescue this sweetie from the grip of boring OD and NG! Not even the Dark Green by itself will save the day.

0122p40.jpg

0132p40.jpg

James, did Montex supply the masks for the nose art? That would be ambitious.

More paint. Not many words for what is a fair bit of work that is not too picture worthy, referring to the preceding seam work on all those inserts. The next task is to do something to rescue this sweetie from the grip of boring OD and NG! Not even the Dark Green by itself will save the day.
Yes they did. It is also available in 1/48 scale and 48071 also has the barrels. https://www.scalemates.com/kits/952365-montex-kam48071-curtiss-p-40n-kittyhawk-usaaf

And a poor pic but it shows the masks:

h55b50f2.jpg

James

Thanks, James.

Here's where it's at now. Most of the little parts to be added later have also been done up through paint. If you look closely at the horizontal stabilizer seams you will see I am still working them down after applying some thick paint with a fine brush to the join. I have also added a little aluminum powder in a few wear areas and done some random addition of faded olive drab in areas that get the most sun. I am trying as hard as I can to let the paint cure up before I put on a gloss coat for decals, but I usually get a severe case of git'er done at this point which often does not yield the better result.

0142p40.jpg

Thanks, Christian.

Decals complete. That big decal on the nose required holding my mouth just right.

0152p40.jpg

Thanks, Christian.

Decals complete. That big decal on the nose required holding my mouth just right.

0152p40.jpg

:rotf :rotf :rotf I know exactly what you mean . Might even had to use some verbage to help it along .

I really like that scheme but for the life of me I can't figure out what bird that's suppose to represent . (y)

Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks, Christian.

0152p40.jpg

:rotf :rotf :rotf I know exactly what you mean . Might even had to use some verbage to help it along .

I really like that scheme but for the life of me I can't figure out what bird that's suppose to represent . (y)

Cheers, Christian B)

Cardinal sans mask?

Maybe .Makes me think of Woody Woodpecker
h41d2aa0.png

but that parrot like beak throws me off :frantic

Cheers, Christian B)

Back