• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Planet 1/48 XP-40Q

jeaton01

I seem to be stuck on my early B-26 (no excuse, just stuck in the head) so I am starting on the Planet XP-40Q, quite a nice resin kit of the last P-40 variant. Here's pictures of the parts, then I'm off to Westley's the parts.

As a side note, I am almost sure I saw one of these at Ed Maloneys museum when it was still at Ontario in 1965. I was certainly a P-40 with a bubble canopy.

0011p40.jpg

0021p40.jpg

0031p40.jpg

0041p40.jpg

0051p40.jpg

0061p40.jpg

Sweet!

I bet that if it would have gone into production they would have installed a fillet at the stabilizer like they did the Mustang.

She looks like a good candidate for Reno. :pilot

Working on the P-40Q. Going pretty well except for the worst job of painting seat belts ever. Parts fit is pretty good except as you can see in the photos the fuselage sides and cockpit side panels had to be routered a bit to allow the instrument panel to fit. Lots of test fitting because as is usual with resin kits there are no definite part locations for most parts. I hope to improve the seat belts some more before installing the canopy.

0071p40.jpg

0081p40.jpg

0091p40.jpg

0101p40.jpg

Grinding away on seam work, preparing the vac form canopy, and building the propeller, which comes as a shaft, spinner, and four blades. Holes have to be drilled in small indentations of the spinner for the shaft and blades. I replaced the resin shaft with music wire and brass and aluminum bushings. I like spinning props. I did run into the poorest fit on the kit, the nose piece is oversize all the way around. I centered it up as well as I could and glued it on and commenced filing and sanding. Worked out OK.

As Bob suggested I put a filter on the seat using thinned OD, looks better if still ugh-ly.

0111p40.jpg

0121p40.jpg

0131p40.jpg

0141p40.jpg

I struggled with my planet models kit, but it was badly warped when I received it. It eventually went in the trash bin. One day I'll try another.

You are doing fantastic work on this one!
:drinks

Back