• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

North American X-15 A-2

Paulw

I don't know if this is allowed but if it isn't then Bob can move it to another spot.

I bought this on eBay several months ago. This was a used kit but no assembly was done to it. So far every thing looks to be here. As far as the kit goes then I can say that from some of the reviews that I have read there are a few issues along with the type of plastic from a limited run kit is famous for. This stuff is soft and you can mar it with some good pressure from your finger nail.

Any way...

I cut off the fuse sections of which there are four and taped them together to see for my self the issues with alignment.

From here there doesn't seem to be any issues at all...

But on closer inspection I found where the problem stem from.

The front section top piece is about 2mm shorter in length than the bottom this leaves a gap. on one side while the other has some little step.

If the forward fuse is assembled with the back half even the every vertical panel line as well as the nose part of the sub assembly would be off by about 2 mm.
I figure to line up the halves where the panel lines are together then glue the halves together and just fill in the gap when the front comes together with the rear.

Now for the aft section.

The to parts line up pretty well for the exception of a fairly large gap on both sides where the top fits inside the bottom of the aft fuse. I may be able to fill it with plastic card and fill it. I will have to be extremely careful on the sanding because if it is too aggressive then Ill miss shape the part and have to correct that as well.

url=https://postimages.org/]
IMG_2087.jpg
[/url]

The pour gates are fairly thick so after cutting them from the sprue then all the nubs left over are either filed flush or shave as close as possible to the part trying to prevent marring the surface.

The last part that I will have to contend with is the non colored p.e. in particular the IP panels. They have a lightly raised surface with hole for the instrument face film that is included with the kit.
I think I can get away with painting the light gray that is the interior color and dry brush the black but I have heard of another technique where it involves some masking tape. a black sharpie and a paint brush. Ill be able to explain further as I get to that step.

Ill be getting back to this while I still have the desire to do some things to it.

Cheers

North American X-15 A-2 (Space Race)

I would've thought that this kit would have included the gauges on a clear film :hmmm

I'll be watching for your alternate method .

Cheers, Christian B)

I would've thought that this kit would have included the gauges on a clear film :hmmm

I'll be watching for your alternate method .

Cheers, Christian B)

It does. I thought I made mention of that. :facepalm

Had the smaller scale version way back when. :good:

I have been busy building the cockpit today when I realized that I am modeling this in flight with a stick up its keister. All that time and I could have been doing something else so I took some pics anyway.

I painted the seat and the cockpit sections I assembled. To help align the aft sections for assembly I installed the aft bulkhead gluing it a bit at a time I was able to bring the top and bottom half together and then glue the front part where they but up against each other.

Pressing the gap as close together as possible I cemented it together with weld bond which only worked in certain spots that actually touched. I then taped the horizontal and vertical edges allowing only the gap to show and then filled it with regular ole Testors tube glue. after that dried and set then I had some support to be able to use body filler.

url=https://postimages.org/]
IMG_2098.jpg
[/url]

After it cured then a light sanding being careful to not damage the details too much. I think it came out fairly well.

I also assembled the flight and control surfaces today and dry fit them but being a limited run kit there are some pretty good gaps that will need to be attended to.

Man but that looks like RTV.......Gave me an F-4 flash back :blink

Good job :good:

Cheers, Christian B)

OK I moved it.

Not sure why :idonno

From Wikipedia
Altitudes attained by X-15 aircraft fell short of those of Alan Shepard's and Gus Grissom's Project Mercury space capsules in 1961, or of any other manned spacecraft. However, the X-15 ranks supreme among manned rocket-powered aircraft, becoming the world's first operational spaceplane in the early 1960s.

and NASA
In the joint X-15 hypersonic research program that NASA conducted with the Air Force, the Navy, and North American Aviation, Inc., the aircraft flew over a period of nearly 10 years and set the world's unofficial speed and altitude records of 4,520 mph (Mach 6.7) and 354,200 feet in a program to investigate all aspects of piloted hypersonic flight. Information gained from the highly successful X-15 program contributed to the development of the Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo piloted spaceflight programs as well as the Space Shuttle program.

Lookin good Paul :good: :D

:drinks

I'm a watchin!

Watching-with-Popcorn.jpg

Oh and just a reminder (as I don't have my kit handy) The lower stabilizer looses the bottom half just before landing. So if it is in flight, the lower should be like the top one.

Oh and just a reminder (as I don't have my kit handy) The lower stabilizer looses the bottom half just before landing. So if it is in flight, the lower should be like the top one.[/quote]

I knew that already. I have plans for that also.

It looks like you're digging into your bag of tricks! Nice job on those seams. I'll be keeping an eye on this! :ro:

Back