• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/48 Ibex T-6 Texan II

ErnieS

I started this one a while ago, and had needed to get it finished by the first week of June, which I did, just haven't had much time to post up anything recently. Work and family stuff have kept me occupied for the past several weeks. Anyway, here goes.....

34984997692_0e1b01d2cd_c.jpg

The kit is more like a limited run than a Hasegaw or Tamyia kit, but it does have a very nice decal sheet and resin detail parts like the nose, wheels, and ejection seats and exhaust.
I started with the cockpit, originally I wanted to build a B model, but this is the original issue of the kit and only has the A instrument panels. I was going to modify the kit panels but in the end left them and built the kit as the A model. Isracast has the kit available with the updated B model panels and HUD for the front cockpit.

35097452592_045c58f88c_c.jpg

I added a large nut/bolt/washer to the center leg of each instrument panel for the cabin environmental control vent, and scrap photoetch for the landing gear lever, and also the parking brake leaver on the front panel. The instruments are a combination of kit, Airscale, and Mike Grant decals.

35529790721_4522282028_c.jpg

The seats are resin are pretty good. I added the support rod between the tall canopy breakers on the front seats, and the leg restraints on the bottom or each seat using thin strips of Tamyia tape painted blue. The center pull loops were made from stretched sprue painted yellow.

35551808801_503487391c_c.jpg

The cockpit looks decent enough for viewing under a closed canopy.

35059726900_1a5e05c512_c.jpg

The kit comes with a pair of vacuformed canopies, and once trimmed up fit very well. The real canopy is a single piece that opens to the side so it would be easy to pose it open, but I like the way the canopy in the closed position adds to the lines of the aircraft, and so decided early on to mount it closed.

34989825334_35b20da3e7_c.jpg

35031947893_dd6f7eae3b_c.jpg

Paint going on, good ol' Model Master Gloss Sea Blue. You can see in the pic of the bottom of the model how "soft" the panel lines are, fairly wide and definitely not as crisp as other manufacturers panel lines.

35559522830_aa517a268b_c.jpg

Decals going on. I used Two Bobs decals for the Centennial of Naval Aviation T-6A. The nose checkers were the most challenging part of the process. The checks are single rows, until the fuselage diameter tightens up toward the bottom of the nose, at which point they become individual checker decals. Also the row of checkers has to follow the edge of the anti glare panel, which must be masked off by eye. Fortunately I seem to have gotten it right as everything lined up (y)

41186197475_548d4000d2_c.jpg

All the decals on, it was naturally at this point I had a minor disaster....I somehow splashed a couple of drops of lacquer thinner on the wing which ate through the gloss coat and paint :tomato I sanded it out and resprayed, but the gloss coat I had been using kept beading up over the repairs, even after letting the base coat dry for several days :bang head I sanded and resprayed the base and gloss two more times with the same result, on the third try I switched to Model Master Gloss Coat and that worked (y)

I built a small base for the model to sit on and made a small name plate for it from a piece of Evergreen sheet plastic and the header decals from the Two Bob's decals sheet, and along with a set of Wheeliant wheel chocks and an Aerobonus fire extinguisher called this one done! :ro:

41935601865_7cf220d0a7_c.jpg

41935600645_6c5857b5e6_c.jpg

41935597845_abe729f7a1_c.jpg

41935599665_91c64c9166_c.jpg

28963605478_555e4d9fcf_c.jpg

The fire extinguisher was all resin with the exception of the hose, and was quite fiddly and delicate to put together, but I have always wanted to paint something in that funky safety green color, so had to do it! :D
Thanks for looking if you got this far :Hiay

Outstanding, really love the finish, especially over the wings. Looks great!

Wonder what caused it to bead up like that?

Sierra Hotel, Bay-bee!! 4-0 all the way around! I anxiously await the Italeri 1/72 version of this same Bird.
Lots of these in the air over NAS Pensacola last April.
Nimble. Noisy.
:salute
:eek:ldguy
:pilot

I was wondering if they armed it so I googled..

http://defense.txtav.com/en/at-6

Even has a link to contact your local sales rep! :v :dance

Outstanding, really love the finish, especially over the wings. Looks great!

Wonder what caused it to bead up like that?

Thank you Bob, appreciate it.

As for the beading issue, I have no idea, everything came from the same bottles I used on the initial finish, same paint, clearcoat etc. Left plenty of drying time as well between paint and clear :idonno By the third try I figured I had noting to lose so switched to Model Master gloss from Tamyia, and bingo! No problem...

Very nice indeed, Ernie - I see these every couple of weeks or so shooting approaches in to New Plymouth airport - the T-6 II is is the only aircraft in the RNZAF that has any offensive capability, but 'we' don't actually have any weapons to hang underneath them... I promise you it's true !

Ian.

Looking good Ernie .Good recovery from your incident. (y)

Strange to see the military flying prop driven aircraft after so many years of jets .

Cheers, Christian B)

Looking good Ernie .Good recovery from your incident. (y)

Strange to see the military flying prop driven aircraft after so many years of jets .

Cheers, Christian B)

Yes, it is, though the T-6 is a spicy little aircraft, the next step at least in the AF is I believe the T-38, so a bit of a step up.

Very nice indeed, Ernie - I see these every couple of weeks or so shooting approaches in to New Plymouth airport - the T-6 II is is the only aircraft in the RNZAF that has any offensive capability, but 'we' don't actually have any weapons to hang underneath them... I promise you it's true !

Ian.

Thank you for the comment. Nice that you get to see the real deal often. Seems like you have the chicken and egg thing going on......is it better to have weapons and no delivery platform, or a delivery platform but no weapons. At least the option is there :idonno

Back