• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/32 Hasegawa J2M-3

Paulw

Time for a new one on the bench. Hasegawa's J2M-3 Raiden. This has always been one of my most favorite Japanese WW II aircraft ever since I had the classic Revell one back in the early 70's. This is for a club theme build and since I thought why not on the theme build so I selected this kit. So far it is a real nice kit as far as fit and detail are concerned although I think the seat is a bit thick but other than that every thing else seems just right.

The engine will be mostly hidden by the large cooling intake plenum that is mounted to the inside of the cowl and then it secures to the engine's center hub. I chose to shoot some black primer on the cylinders and buff it out a bit with Tamiya weathering master silver. I then capped the rocker covers with aluminum, shot some dark brown on the exhausts and dry brushed some soot color from the same weathering master set.

Hey, Alex. I used RLM 83. It's a bit dark but I think the RLM 82 that they called for was a bit to brilliant.

Thank you Paul. I always struggled with the right colour for the interior of Japanese planes. Either the Mitsubishi green or the Nakajima gray-green were never the right shade, specially in 1/72. It missed a "brownier" hue after completion. I will try the RLM 83 next time.

Many thanks and looking Forward to your further Progress! :salute :salute

Cheers

Alex

Thanks, everybody. Now that things are progressing along quite well I am enjoying this kit even more. The fit is excellent and that being said I did have a couple of self inflicted injuries that I took care of. Decals are still Hasegawa and while they are nicer than earlier years they are still quite thick and takes quite a bit of decal juice to get them to settle in well. I have been able to get the undercarriage done but the wheels are kind of wonky but that's OK for me. The big problem that I had painting was the yellow warning area on the wing leading edges. I just did not have the right shade of yellow but all that aside I think I will have a different plan of attack if I do another one of these kits.I will be putting on the under wing Hinomaru tomorrow and then shooting a clear coat for weathering then a flat coat to bring it all together.

Thanks for looking in.

Looking good Paul.
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif

Back