• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/72 Airfix Boulton Paul Defiant

dollar19

My initial attempts at dolling up the cockpit and closing up the fuselage.

I've been away from the bench too long, but I'm trying to slowly work my way back into the fray. I thought this would be a nice little kit to restart the juices flowing.

Nice start! A friend of mine had some trouble with the gun turret assembly.

:)

Thanks for looking in and commenting. Its been a long week at the workplace, and my little grandson has keep me hopping in my free time so little has progressed so far. I do have the wings on though. The fit there was as good as ive ever experienced. No filler no sanding!!
Sunday appears to be a soggy day here so ill get some more done then.

I got to play at the bench today. I was able to add the oil cooler scoop, using the the sprue attachment to the grill as a handle because the damn thing was so small. after it dried I snipped it off and glued the scoop to the underside of the nose. Then I got the radiator and it's grills together and glued on the belly.
The raised turtle back got attached and the tail planes and rudder were also glued on. That pretty much has the body of the aircraft fitted. So far I've really enjoyed this build. I think I may add a couple of braces to the back of the pilot's bulkhead out of some scrap PE i have. I've seen this little detail somewhere, it may not show on the finished model but what the heck.

I noticed where I had clipped the sprue gate a little too close to the bottom wing and left myself a small divot to fill. I dabbed on a spot of liquid paper to fill it. I just painted the interior of the wheel wells aluminum and sat it aside to dry. I di add a bit of scrap PE to the bulkhead behind the pilot. I saw some sort of supporting brace in a picture, so Im replicating that. most likely it's not exact but a little gizmology. It will probably never be seen once the canopy is in place but what the heck.

B) :popcorn
I love these things. As a kid they were my favourite as they seemed to me to be a Spitfire with a Lancaster turret.

Ian.

Here's a little update on my build. Progress has slowed a bit due to some household chores the Mrs. "just had to have done", and having to put in some overtime at work this week. But today I got to sit at the bench for a bit and did some touch up painting in the cockpit, mainly the PE bits I added behind the seat and the interior of the moving fairing behind the turret.

I also cleaned up the one very small amount of filler I had to use on the belly, and got some aluminum paint in the wheel wells.

That's about all for now. I will keep after it though, it spit and spurts. We're getting into the busy part of the spring at work. I for-see some more overtime in the next few weeks.

I’m about to pick this back up. My next step will be the gun turret. Then on to prime and paint. Just hoping I don’t break those tiny little .303 gun barrels!

Back