• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

HK 1/32 B-25 J

Paulw

I have had in my mind lately to build this NMF with a fictitious name. I plan on putting a Vargas Girl on the nose and naming it Luscious Linda. That will come much later. I do plan on really taking my time on this with hopes on having it completer by our TMF show on April 14th in Bixby, Ok.

I got the pit assembly and realized that there weren't any decals for the IP. One of HK's foibles I gusee, is to not have any details for the ip. Same thing with the Mosquito to a certain extent. This has a two piece piece assembly that would allow you to use something like Air Scale's 1/32 scale instrument decals.

h3d34850.JPG

Again I have to apologize for the quality of the pics. You can see the separate pieces so in order to get the back plate ready to place the decals I taped it to the back of the ip and sprayed it with some black Stynylrez primer. this way I have a location where I can place the decals.

h4be732b.JPG

h1c013cd.JPG

hb70ae23.JPG

After they dried and set I put it back into the ip and attached it to the pit floor.

h4119c41.JPG

h144c5d5.JPG

h65c6351.JPG

They may be a bit off set and in the incorrect position but I don't think anybody around here will notice anyway.

Just wow. I get so much inspiration from so many builders on this sight. I look at this and say OK that's the bench mark.

Just wow. I get so much inspiration from so many builders on this sight. I look at this and say OK that's the bench mark.

Look, I don't know about benchmark modeling but I get my inspiration from most of the modelers here. About 90% of them know where I came from and I still have leagues to travel before I get anywhere near their modeling skills. I have to be humble here because I know where I stand as far as my skills go. A lot of it has to do with how far you are willing to go to get a better result. If you go into it halfheartedly then mediocre results will be your reward. If you put more into it then a more satisfactory result becomes the foundation from which you continue.

Yes, Kits have a bit to do with it but the most of the hobby comes from how far you are willing to go and how much sacrifice you have to make to get the desired result. Keep a sharp blade, clean tools and work area. Keep a positive mindset and when you get frustrated put the work away for a while. Rushing through a build is not a good recipe for anything except heart ache.

Look, I don't know about benchmark modeling but I get my inspiration from most of the modelers here. About 90% of them know where I came from and I still have leagues to travel before I get anywhere near their modeling skills. I have to be humble here because I know where I stand as far as my skills go. A lot of it has to do with how far you are willing to go to get a better result. If you go into it halfheartedly then mediocre results will be your reward. If you put more into it then a more satisfactory result becomes the foundation from which you continue.

Yes, Kits have a bit to do with it but the most of the hobby comes from how far you are willing to go and how much sacrifice you have to make to get the desired result. Keep a sharp blade, clean tools and work area. Keep a positive mindset and when you get frustrated put the work away for a while. Rushing through a build is not a good recipe for anything except heart ache.

Well said Paul . I also draw my inspiration from other modelers . Here and other places.

Cheers, Christian B)

IP is a Beauty, looking forward to more.

I've always had a soft spot for the 25, if there was a kit that would get me back into military models, this would be it.

I just want to thank all for the kind comments.
Until I can get some paint for the mg ammo belts I thought I would get more done. I chose the engines next

Looking through the "distructions" I saw an extra set of push rods.

hb10d664.jpg

h448467f.jpg

Wait a second! The Wright 2600 has 28 push rods. 2 per each cylinder. I figured that I would just leave it out but that brings another problem.
There is a fairly good gap of about 2.5mm when I start to assemble the engines.

h4991424.jpg

Nobody can accuse me of being a brilliant mind so I put the extra set of push rods where it is supposed to go and voila! The gap is gone.

ha6c3ac3.jpg

Well, I'll just have to remove the rods and just use the round thingy.

What they did Paul was make the cylinders "smaller" to add the extra ring of push rods. This is why I was saying that the engines were not up to snuff.

I spent several years looking for some replacement engines. HPH makes some and they are available from their site. I believe these engines were also used on the Helldiver as well as the TBF Avenger. I picked up the HPH engines a while back and was concerned that they might end up too short. My fears were groundless. the HPH engines had a LOT thicker cylinders and the rocker covers were correct as well. The length of the HK engines and HPH engines are virtually the same so I can honestly say that HK did a complete FUBAR on the engines.

Seems like I got my engines from Lots-of-models (but they are sold out) on that bidding site we all know and love/hate.

If you don't intend on having the cowlings open it might not really make much difference. Enjoy! Have been watching and it is coming along nicely! (y)

What they did Paul was make the cylinders "smaller" to add the extra ring of push rods. This is why I was saying that the engines were not up to snuff.

I spent several years looking for some replacement engines. HPH makes some and they are available from their site. I believe these engines were also used on the Helldiver as well as the TBF Avenger. I picked up the HPH engines a while back and was concerned that they might end up too short. My fears were groundless. the HPH engines had a LOT thicker cylinders and the rocker covers were correct as well. The length of the HK engines and HPH engines are virtually the same so I can honestly say that HK did a complete FUBAR on the engines.

Seems like I got my engines from Lots-of-models (but they are sold out) on that bidding site we all know and love/hate.

If you don't intend on having the cowlings open it might not really make much difference. Enjoy! Have been watching and it is coming along nicely! (y)

Not to worried about the size diff as I have said before, Paul. I am just hoping that it looks like a B-25 when I am done. The biggest problem were the prop blades though. Those things look like they belong on Hiawatha's canoe. I got a set of blades from Roll made by Loon Models. Looking those over I think the prop from the Revell F4U-1A would be a good substitute.

Not to worried about the size diff as I have said before, Paul. I am just hoping that it looks like a B-25 when I am done. The biggest problem were the prop blades though. Those things look like they belong on Hiawatha's canoe. I got a set of blades from Roll made by Loon Models. Looking those over I think the prop from the Revell F4U-1A would be a good substitute.

I will have to keep that in mind Paul. Just recently started looking into getting the PE set for this. Didn't bother before as the engines were kind of a road block for me. You know we can go nuts with trying to make these things right. I am quite buried in AMS these days. While that isn't really holding me back, just don't have a lot of zoom juice to build. The good thing is that when I'm not building I am solving stuff in my head. When I get around to building the mods usually go along quite smooth as it is already worked out, I just have to do it.

You know I still have a Staggerwing to build. The source for the engine will be Kinetic's Kingfisher and then the rest will be a ton of scratch building and modifying. :facepalm I recently saw the same kit (different box) that was "motorized". :facepalm :facepalm

Back