• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Beriev Be-6 (Trumpeter 1/72)

sharkman

Master at Arms
Starting this one for a build at my local club, the build is for the " Gary Porter Challenge", a build in the middle of winter to get members building. It runs from mid Nov. to mid Feb. It is held in honour of a deceased member of our club. Unfortunately, Gary passed away before I joined so I never got to meet him, but I'm told he was a prolific builder and encouraged others regularly. I tried this last year with a Canadian Defiant but I never finished on time so this year I'm taking a stab at it again. Our theme this year is anything associated with "Water" (snow is included!)

This will be my kit

hec5cb99.jpg

I got started on it Thursday evening with the interior. This takes several steps and has a tonne of little pieces to put in place with many sub assemblies, most of which will never see the light of day again. There are 6 compartments and only 3 of them will really be seen once the glass is on and she's buttoned up. There are a few injection spots that will need to be filled, the others won't be noticed.

h29b68cb.jpg

Here's the finished interior (minus the paint and the control columns). The kit only supplies one control column (more on that later) and after looking at limited historical photos, the Be-6 clearly had two so I'll have to scratch build one.

ha0f59eb.jpg

I moved the seats a little forward than what was stated in the instructions as they looked too far back. There doesn't seem to be a lot of information on the interior of the Be-6. They only made 126 and I believe there are only 3 surviving airframes, 2 in China and 1 in Ukraine (I could be wrong about that) but from my search for historical pics and the Be-6 in Ukraine that was recently restored, I believe there was a floor access (openings) just ahead of the seats for the pilot and co-pilot to get into the cockpit. I decided not to show this here due to my time constraints and the fact that it will hardly be noticed through the tiny windows. Most of what I could find was on the Seawings website.

h9c05e4d.jpg

This is my first Trumpeter kit to build and I have to say that the fit is INCREDIBLE! The detail in the parts and the fit is one of the best I've ever seen in a kit. That's my apple!

My onion, although I would say it is a great kit so far, there are some very obvious errors. I mentioned a couple so far:
1. only 1 control column
2. no access for cockpit
3. there seems to be no access for the other compartments either, except the tiny rear gun position, they molded a door in there.
4. they must have modelled it after one preserved in China with turbo props because they have the original piston engines design, but it still calls for the turbo prop exhausts to be installed under the nacelles in the instructions.
5. there are no engines, just a flat piece of plastic, I'll try and correct this
6. the cowls on the engine nacelles are molded incorrectly

hb0749bf.jpg

As for that control column, I took a couple parts from the spares bin and will try to fashion something similar

hb07defa.jpg

Just glued some small diameter sprue here inside the IDF look for the wheel. the other part will serve as the column

hb0b34f8.jpg

More to come!

A review can be found here, if interested...

http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/tru/kit_tru_1646.shtml

I know Trumpeter gets beat up a lot over accuracy errors but the ones I have built have gone together well and were enjoyable builds. I love seaplanes and will be watching with interest :popcorn

I know Trumpeter gets beat up a lot over accuracy errors but the ones I have built have gone together well and were enjoyable builds. I love seaplanes and will be watching with interest :popcorn

This is the first one I've built Gary. I have one other in the stash, the HU-16 Albatross. It just surprises me that after scanning through the parts on this kit they seem to have spent a lot of time detailing certain parts but then neglecting others.

The wings for example, fit together seamlessly and have positionable ailerons, fantastic workmanship. Then looking at the outrigger floats, the floats themselves are perfect, but the two supports holding each to the wing are just rectangular bars, no effort to streamline them like the real thing.

There are not many faults and I don't think it will take away from the enjoyment of the build, I'm just curious why some of the (obvious) errors were made.

Cool , looks like there's plenty of parts. If they all fit, even the better . :good:

Looking forward to this . Amazing what a long life that airframe has had , as the BE-12 just seems to be a lot of upgrade to the original design.

Cheers, Christian B)

Had some time this morning!

This is the best i can do about the interior now. My apologies for my mistake! The scratched control column turned out well, but you'll have to take my word for it. :bang head

hff01664.jpg

h2008f27.jpg

I installed all the green house, just waiting for a Montex mask set..

hc437d01.jpg

These little windows were nice but there are 29 of them and they are all different and only go in 1 way so you need to install them 1 by 1

h224280b.jpg

h34f9b8e.jpg

Here is the fuselage all buttoned up!

h355dbbf.jpg

I did some work on the other pieces as well,

wings; these are not glued yet as I am waiting on some Vector engines!

ha21f8b9.jpg

The kit gives you options for up to 8 hard points for torpedoes, sonar buoys and mines (included) or bombs (not included) but I am only going to install the 2 torpedoes for this build.

h7e86b9a.jpg

Drilled out the fuel dump (I assume, this design is like what is found on the PBY)

hd3c28c4.jpg

The torpedoes, I added the pins on front

h5231108.jpg

Tail, these pieces are not glued yet. I mentioned that the fit is incredible on this kit. My plan is to leave the wings off, paint everything and then assemble the plane. Should make painting easier and I've never been able to do that with a kit before!

hb0da77b.jpg

I mentioned the floats earlier and the boxy support struts, here's an assembled one to show you

h6e3bf7b.jpg

And for the engine cowls, i started to cave them out, I'll install a couple engines for a bit more realism

h30bd10d.jpg

h5fc94b0.jpg

Back