• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/32 Extra 300

Paulw

I asked John E about three or four years ago if he knew of any 1/32 kits of this airplane but he told me he didn't. Oh I kept smoking what left of my brain I had to try to figure out how I could build one of these on the cheap.

The 3d model of this plane came off of a free 3d model site that lets you down load free CTI files for 3d printing. This particular model was designed by a fellow that goes by Rhinodk on Thingyverse (the free site I mentioned). It took me about four days off and on for printing and experimenting with parameters for the print. Now, I am no 3d cad guy so I had the help of a good friend of mine. He guided me through the process and rearranged the 3d model in a way that would be more simple to print.

The plastic used is PLA. poly lactic acid. A bio degradable plastic. This stuff is tough. All the ridges left by the printing is almost impossible to sand down with a coarse sanding stick but is almost manageable with a couple of jewelers files. I'll get to that later because other projects are looming on the horizon.

All in all this took a rather short 15 hours of printing but the experience is worth it if you get to learn something new. My thanks of Rhinodk and Jody Loud for helping me achieve this result.

That's pretty cool. What will you do for the cockpit? Is it hollow or a solid print? Looking forward to seeing more of this.
James

That's pretty cool. What will you do for the cockpit? Is it hollow or a solid print? Looking forward to seeing more of this.
James

I wont do anything for a pit, James because even though the inside is hollow it has crossing support inside in order to print it so it wont collapse in on itself.The next one I do i will be more involved in the set up and maybe find a way to detail the pit some what.

Years back, at the Newton airshow, after a rousing thunderstorm, Gene Soucy flew his Extra 300 for a crowd of 14 people.
That same Airshow "Tiger Tom" Klassen flew his Buell (SU-26, I think!) before the storm drove all but the most devoted Airshow fans from the Field.
h014cbec.JPG

Does that help, Paul?

Back