• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Bachem Ba 349 Natter 1/48 Dragon kit

MichelC

That’s the baby I’m working on at the moment. Assembly is quite straightforward. The cockpit is a simple affair (pics coming soon) and the absence of landing gear simplifies things. On the other hand there’s the launching pole, which is a small kit in itself. But that’s for later. Right now I have the camo to think about, about which I’m not decided yet. What do you guys think about a wraparound camo? After all it’s a vertical take-off a/c (the first of its kind) and a wraparound would make it easier to conceal on the ground...

SsTNuw0.jpg

yQHtKXn.jpg

goAoBFY.jpg

:side: To the best of my recollection , it was a very simple bird . The launch tower is another matter :idonno i' ll be watching .

Cheers, Christian B)

Then again, it only set on the launch rack for a short time before launch. Whatever you think is good, go for it! (y)

Thank you guys! :drinks

Christian, this is not the launch tower used for the test flights but the much simpler pole launcher that was to be used operationally. Fortunately for me... :v

Heavens Eagle, per the doc I read the hoisting onto the rack was a rather delicate operation followed by the filling of the tanks which took some time as well, what with the rigorous protocol necessary to keep C Stoff and T Stoff from accidentally coming into contact with each other. Altogether it must have taken way more than 20 minutes, which was the warning time offered by the Jadgschloss radar that was to be deployed with the Natter. It therefore stands to reason that the a/c would have been on its launching pole, ready to take off when the alert sounded, for possibly hours or even days and that hiding it on the ground would therefore have been the main consideration. :hmmm

Thank you guys! :drinks

Christian, this is not the launch tower used for the test flights but the much simpler pole launcher that was to be used operationally. Fortunately for me... :v

Heavens Eagle, per the doc I read the hoisting onto the rack was a rather delicate operation followed by the filling of the tanks which took some time as well, what with the rigorous protocol necessary to keep C Stoff and T Stoff from accidentally coming into contact with each other. Altogether it must have taken way more than 20 minutes, which was the warning time offered by the Jadgschloss radar that was to be deployed with the Natter. It therefore stands to reason that the a/c would have been on its launching pole, ready to take off when the alert sounded, for possibly hours or even days and that hiding it on the ground would therefore have been the main consideration. :hmmm

Did not find the lauch pole but I did find a picture of the concrete base . :woohoo: Interesting

Cheers, Christian B)

Here's a pic of a model (not mine) with the pole launcher. The pole was fixed into a circular concrete base (not shown on this dio).

9JFewsN.jpg

Priming is done and base color is next. Except for last minute changes that should be RLM 76 followed by squiggles in one or another shade of RLM green.

In the meantime some pics of the pit. Rather bare but so was the real thing. Except for a few scratched details it’s OOB. I tried the new Steelbelts from Eduard and I’m quite happy with the product.

88hJiDo.jpg

PR6sND8.jpg

ojt9uRe.jpg

zFVeK0a.jpg

zRiTd8U.jpg

i6PkE8i.jpg

apnyzXj.jpg

oLhIB6B.jpg

vjs810b.jpg

Priming is done and base color is next. Except for last minute changes that should be RLM 76 followed by squiggles in one or another shade of RLM green.

In the meantime some pics of the pit. Rather bare but so was the real thing. Except for a few scratched details it’s OOB. I tried the new Steelbelts from Eduard and I’m quite happy with the product.

88hJiDo.jpg

PR6sND8.jpg

ojt9uRe.jpg

zFVeK0a.jpg

zRiTd8U.jpg

i6PkE8i.jpg

apnyzXj.jpg

oLhIB6B.jpg

vjs810b.jpg

:pilot

Slow but steady...

After primer coat, a pic shot w/o flash with the model under the desk lamp to see where the shadows fall. We'll try and play around with modulation.

PyJyihf.jpg

Pre-shading based on the above reference pic.

hdsS4Y2.jpg

Then it's a base coat of RLM 76 followed by more paint modulation to emphasize even more the light and shadows.

Ci1pF5s.jpg

Sorry for the bad quality pic, the flash flattens out the effect. It's much better in real. Yes, it is, I swear! :D

Next up: snake lines.

M

Back