• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

An Old Friend...1/48 Revell P-40B Finished

fightnjoe

I have been lost in many things as of late. Not much time really to post, even to really go online for more than a few minutes every now and then. It is time to go back to basics. Time to bring out an old friend.

Boxtop-2_zpsboxml6hl.jpg

It seems that everytime I want to try something new I turn to this kit. i believe I have built this kit at least ten times in its different boxings.

My first attempt at scratchbuilding was with this kit.
My first attempt at resin aftermarket was with this kit.
My first attempt at photoetch was with this kit.
My first attempt at color modulation was with this kit.
My first attempt at real weathering was with this kit.

You get my point.

At the beginning of each of my builds I try to picture just what I want to accomplish with the build. What look am I going after. This one is no different. I want to try to portray a bird that has been forgotten. A bone yard find. Weathered, faded, just a relic.

The construction aspect will be simple. The only real modification will be the installation of the Legend resin cockpit set.

More of this journey to follow.

Joe

An Old Friend...1/48 Revell P-40B Cockpit Painting

Well my friends here I am to finally get started on the Hawk.

First up is the cockpit. That means clean up of the resin, really not bad at all, and getting some color.

After cleanup I began with a base coat of Flat Black Rustoleum, this is for shadows. I then sprayed Interior Green, Model Master Enamel, from the "top" down. Preserving the shadows as much as I can. The final bit for this stage is the picking out of details with a small pointed brush. A P-40 has little variance, dominated mostly with Greens and Black.

Cockpit-1_zps2zlhuplv.jpg

Cockpit-2_zps7gyv6udf.jpg

Cockpit-3_zps953io3te.jpg

Not really much for excitement but I did record this as I was moving along. Posted HERE

I will be updating that playlist with the newest for this build.

All comments, critiques, and criticism are encouraged.

Joe

With a sharkmouth I hope?

Regards,

Guys thanks for looking in.

Saul this time no. A simple OD/Grey scheme so I can play more with the weathering.

Joe

Looking great so far Joe! I'm glad to see you back at this.

An Old Friend...1/48 Revell P-40B Construction

Well folks here I am after a long delay.

First of all let me say this. All photos have now been lost at photobucket. I am not going to redo them at all. I am using Imgur to post my updates.

On to the build.

With the work on the cockpit done it was time to close up the fuselage. As with most Revell kits there was a bit of cleanup and putty work to do.

r8hRKK7.jpg

afRjrqG.jpg

7KE2CP4.jpg

It was then time to move on to the wings and the installation of them. Some sanding prepped the wings to get the best fit I could. I then used Tamiya Orange cap as well as MEK to get them in place.

5hjmB16.jpg

yOlHnEZ.jpg

Ik2GX4G.jpg

c4prUeS.jpg

Next up will be to clean up the wings and attach the stabilizers.

Joe

Everything is looking great Joe. I'm glad to see you back at this.

Well folks here I am after a long delay.

First of all let me say this. All photos have now been lost at photobucket. I am not going to redo them at all. I am using Imgur to post my updates.

On to the build.

With the work on the cockpit done it was time to close up the fuselage. As with most Revell kits there was a bit of cleanup and putty work to do.

r8hRKK7.jpg

afRjrqG.jpg

7KE2CP4.jpg

It was then time to move on to the wings and the installation of them. Some sanding prepped the wings to get the best fit I could. I then used Tamiya Orange cap as well as MEK to get them in place.

5hjmB16.jpg

yOlHnEZ.jpg

Ik2GX4G.jpg

c4prUeS.jpg

Next up will be to clean up the wings and attach the stabilizers.

Joe

Looks good Joe :popcorn

Really appreciate you looking in. Many thanks for the kindness.

Joe

Coming along very nicely.

If it any use to you I use MEK for almost all my builds. I got tired of paying for Tamiya and Testors liquids. The basic solvent in them is MEK anyway. I paid 8 dollars for a quart years ago and it's still half full. Nice aroma too! :gogo

MEK is my main glue at the moment. Like the way it works.

Sorry Saul, not this time. For this one it will be the other markings in the box. Training unit out of California.

Joe

An Old Friend...1/48 Revell P-40B Moving Along

Moving right along with this build.

First up is to show ....

3dSRPZF.jpg

vc192Ja.jpg

LiVYxe4.jpg

I did make it through the attachment of the stabilizers. Once sanded and prepped it was paint time.

After an initial coat of Rustoleum Flat Black the lower fuselage and wings received a bit of Model Master Neutral Gray.

vtMjcfW.jpg

Actually this is after several coats with just minutes between. Then it is on to the upper fuselage. First will be a very thinned spray of Model Master #8 Olive Drab.

32iAaYt.jpg

9U4dGg7.jpg

dBCzYrU.jpg

2qiFhKo.jpg

Next will be to set up for the weathering. A few coats of the OD to blend things in and then off to bigger and better.

Joe

Back