• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Luftwaffe RG 51 RF-4E Phantom II (1/72 Fujimi)

helios

I picked the kit up this past weekend at the Seattle IPMS show, and the lure of the Recce Phantom was too strong to leave it alone. :smack

DSCF2206.JPG

This is being built for a '70s NATO/Warsaw Pact GB over at Britmodeller. It will hopefully be a fairly quick build, which will go together alongside finishing up the Space Wolf (I'm not ignoring it). I do find it amusing that I'm building another W. German jet pretty much on the heels of the F-104.

That's a really nice kit, one of my fave's. When it comes time for paint, don't be tempted to paint the undersides a bright silver tone ... The very early machines did have a metallic tone (Weissaluminium) which was more like a dull metallic grey lacquer however they were quickly repainted in a less conspicuous light grey very close to RAF Light Aircraft Grey grey.

Looking forward to seeing this come-together.

Ian.

Got some fiddling done on the pit. Still need to paint belts, attach ejection handles, dry brush, and actually glue the bang seats in (just setting in there at the moment). The Eduard pit PE isn't entirely correct...as it's for the F-4E, not an RF-4C/E, but it's what I was able to find available. Even though it's not entirely correct, I think it looks a lot better than the kit decals for the instruments. Besides, how many people would actually know w/o me telling them. ;) Bang seats are Quickboost pieces, which were a pretty big step up from kit pieces.

DSCF2213.JPG

And because I can't seem to leave well enough alone....

We're doing some camera lenses. :facepalm

DSCF2216.JPG

The "lens holder".
DSCF2219.JPG

And the teaser...
DSCF2220.JPG

It's going to take a few sittings to get proper alignment on the lower front fuselage for a good fit. Should fit up nicely once complete though. The downside to this is since I think this had satisfactory results...I'm probably going to have to do something similar on the RA-5. :facepalm

Unburied this from under the bike parts and knocking the dust off. Inching forward again. Will post more pics once I have something worth showing. Mostly tracking down parts. :S

Intakes fitted. Filler added to the cockpit cowl. Mr Surfacer applied to the fuselage & intake seams.

RF-4E_intakes-mr_surfacer-cockpit_shroud.jpg

Back