• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Revell 1/32 P-51B Mustang for my Dad

Rhino

Super Moderator
I'm not sure how to post my donation for CTA III, but here's my Project!
IMG_6522.JPG

IMG_6521_281024x67829.jpg

8th Air Force, 4th Fighter Group North American P-51B Mustang. She'll be Don Gentile's VF-T Shangri La, just like in the original issue for Revell's old kit. Many, many Moons ago, my Papa brought home the 1967 Kit for my Sister and I. It was right after our visit to the Airshow in Oshkosh WI.
20122C_Pictures_Cost_a_Dollar21_281024x78029.jpg

Papa is a cancer survivor. if his Doctor was right, he'd have died 6 years ago. I'm delighted he just keeps on tickin'! If you are in the Caribbean, it costs a dollar to have your picture taken with Him!

IMG_20140503_0015.jpg

IMG_20140503_0018.jpg

IMG_20140503_0017.jpg

When we were kids, Papa built a 1/1 scale Cassutt III racing airplane. After he was done in 1973, He hitched it up to his Plumbing Truck, in the company of Famed Professor and aircraft restorer Dominic Pellegrino, towed the Cassutt to the Ames Airport, kicked the tires, lit the fires, and flew her off!! :notworthy :pilot :ro:
My Papa is the 2nd best, pilot I've ever known. Second only to Bob Hoover. :pilot :eek:ldguy :salute
Sorry about the quality of the old pictures.

Thanks for lookin' in! More to come!

IMG_6560.JPG

IMG_6561.JPG

It begins with engine parts. Drill, glue, sand. I'm sure Trumpeter's kit Big Mustang is better detailed than the Classic Revell. V-1650 Merlin, and super charger. No invisible detail will be added.

And Chris graduates to airplanes bigger than microscopic sizes :rotf :rotf :rotf

Too bad those pictures of real airplanes are not better to view. I'm sure they are very interesting (y)

Cheers, Christian B)

Good to see you back at the bench now that the home front has settled. Make some dust! :ro:

IMG_6563_-_Copy.JPG

I know that many Airplane Nuts know that the P-51B came equipped with the liscense-built, Packard Merlin engine.
I just had to have something to add a little style to the otherwise plain, clunky, Revell engine. :stinker

Solution! Barracuda studios Rolls Royce rocker covers!! With the necessary surgery. :good:
IMG_6566_-_Copy.JPG

IMG_6567_-_Copy.JPG

I believe it is possible, in 1943, for an Old War Horse, to have had a RR Merlin, just to keep Him fighting and flying. in any case, it's My Island, and I can do as I please! :pp :rotf :salute :eek:ldguy :pilot
Thanks for looking in!!

IMG_6570.JPG

I got a deal on Eduard's 1/32 P-51D P/E set. most of the parts will go into the Shangri-La's interior. I figger my Papa will be able to see in there, and HE WOULD know what's in there! Many P/E parts just don't fit the Ol' Revell Mustang whatsoever. :idonno
IMG_6571.JPG

Merlin test fit. Praise God! It fits under the cowling!!! :yipee
On airplane models that will travel, I usually fit a brass boss into the engine, and a brass shaft for the prop. If you can take it off, you won't break it. Care must be taken if you take Shangri-La on a test hop!!
IMG_6572.JPG

IMG_6573.JPG

IMG_6575.JPG

1/32 Merlin, on-a-steek!! :facepalm I shot some of the black on the USS Georgia, and Mustang parts tonite. I hadn't airbrushed anything in a long while. It seemed to go ok.

Thanks for looking in!! :notworthy :salute

Don't feel bad Chris . I'm not sure the Eduard bits fit much of anything.

I completely agree with the need for brass tubing for parts that can be broken (y)

Cheers, Christian B)

Back