• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/72 Me 323 Gigant (Incredible Shrinking Resin!)

Heavens Eagle

Ok folks! The vote and consensus was pretty unanimous, the Gigant!

So here is the first installment on this beast. I can already honestly say it is going to be a Royal one. Pain in the can that is. :bang head

Right outof the starting gate I had a disaster (learning experience :smack ) Hopefully what I have learned will keep someone else from a similar disaster, but then I wouldn't get to do some required scratchbuilding to replace a buggered part. I get ahead of myself though.

Enjoy!

Me-323-GB-001.jpg

Me-323-GB-002.jpg

Me-323-GB-003.jpg

Me-323-GB-004.jpg

Me-323-GB-005.jpg

I KNEW better, or at least thought I did, :bang head :bang head :smack

Already have things partly done for a new replacement. Will be an expensive part, but (hopefully) it won't be any different from the original when all done. If anyone will need a spare I might be able to supply one soon. Will see.

:blink

Me 323 Gigant in 1/72

Not a brilliant start but thank you for your bravery . I hope the rest goes better Paul .

Cheers, Christian B)

Me 323 Gigant in 1/72

Brave man, I had both of those and sold them a couple years back when I realized I'd probably never build them. Looking forward to your adventure !

Me 323 Gigant in 1/72

I can report that I have a "perfect" replacement part made. :woohoo: The next installment will cover how I did it . There will be a lot of photos.

Viewer warning! It will be RATED R (for resin)

Me 323 Gigant in 1/72

I can report that I have a "perfect" replacement part made. :woohoo: The next installment will cover how I did it . There will be a lot of photos.

OH BOY can this get any better - willing to bet it can woohoooo (y) :popcorn

Me 323 Gigant in 1/72

Darn Paul I hate to hear that . This is sort of resemble one of my builds already.

I'll just be sure to wear my goggles and ear plugs next post.

I hope you get this sorted out.

Cheers, Christian B)

Me 323 Gigant in 1/72

Oh Christian, you don't really mean that do you? :eek:hmy:

Actually the new part as it is at the moment "could" be glued on and possibly forgotten about. EXCEPT that it weighs a bit more than the one on the other side. I am going to have to make some resin dust tonight and lighten the load a little. Not even worried about it, have a good well tested process to do it and do it well. Actually this whole process has taught me a lot and my resin casting knowledge has leaped ahead light years due to the warpage. :tomato

Like the new wing part had no pour block, had no bubbles and required no clean up to make it fit. :hmmm AND it was simple to do.

Are you intigued now? Stay tuned.

Me 323 Gigant in 1/72

Paul, I have been interested since post # 1. There is much to be learned here.

I really know next to nothing about resin . I hope you have great success.

Think I'll add respirator to my previous list of protective equipment . That stuff isn't good for you.

You might wan to consider what to do about the RATO units. Seems they were not much to brag about.

Cheers, Christian B)

Me 323 Gigant in 1/72

Actually I am thinking about what to do about all the AWFUL little windows in the kit.

As to the "dust" Mostly tonight it will be shavings from drilling blind holes with a 3/32 drill bit. Then depending on various things I will most likely use my big graver to "connect the dots" :huh: It won't have to be pretty, but it will need to have a consistant thickness. Won't really be any dust.

Just some dust masks are all that's really needed and that only if you are sanding on the stuff. Any sanding dust, plastic, wood, or resin isn't really good for you. So don't go out and get a hazmat suit yet. :laugh:

Me 323 Gigant in 1/72

Well it sounded like the fur was about to fly :rotf :rotf :rotf

Waiting to be baffled by your brilliance :woohoo:

Cheers, Christian B)

Me 323 Gigant in 1/72

Have a HUGE update coming on making the wing part out of resin. (14 how to photos "so far") Should be finished up on the post tonight and posting in the AM. There is a LOT of "how done it" so check in and check it out.

:soldier :eek:hmy:

Back