• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/700 Aircraft. I'm stuck in "Teeny" Gear! Zorn!

Rhino

Super Moderator
All of you, who know me, know what an airplane nut I am. I recently bought a 1/700 scale Handley Page Victor from an eBay vendor soxfox2. I had my doubts, at first. I bought a 1/700 P-8A Posidon (737-800) from another vendor,and it was less than impressive. Check it out!
1-700_A-C_10Jan15_1.JPG

The Victor came, 3D printed, in an almost clear plastic. Linda says that a small amount of sanding is needed, as the 3D printer leaves an odd texture. I disagree. I shot a coat of Future acrylic floor stuff on it, and it smoothed up nicely, with a minimum of fuss! No, I've never used Future on my floors. Have You? Floquil Reefer white primer coat, and future.
1-700_A-C_10Jan15_2.JPG
:pilot
This Lil' Jet Rocks! Of coarse the fist thing I did, was fly it around a bit, and snap off the 3D printed re-fueling probe. This plastic is tough stuff, and doesn't drill readily. In the end I won! .080 hole, and a chunk of .080 broken drill bit, fixed it right up!! I drilled out the holes for the landing gear as well. I'm gonna make wheels with my Waldron punch set, to put on .070 brass wire gear legs. Ought to be a hoot!! :bang head

Tamiya tape masking, crazy small strips, cut & stuck on. I used a Master G24 airbrush to paint. Flat white primer coat, Future, the Tamiya Dark Gray acrylic top-coat. You'll laugh when you see what I use to lay out the dinky camo scheme! :tomato
1-700_A-C_10Jan15_3.JPG

1-700_A-C_10Jan15_4.JPG

1-700_A-C_10Jan15_5.JPG

The coin in the Pict's is a Canadian dime I had lying about.

But WAIT! There's more!!

Since I had my "Big Boy" airbrush going, I put some paint on the Operation Grandby 1/700 Tornado GR.1's as well. :bang head
1-700_A-C_10Jan15_6.JPG

And........ Here they are, with the 1/700 P-8A Posidon (brillo-pad-paint-sponge-plastic-jet) that I'm less than impressed with. :facepalm
1-700_A-C_10Jan15_7.JPG

I stretched some sprue to fill the hole in the one Tornado's canopy.
This what I did, while I was sick at home today. The temps here have been hell on sinuses! :angry:

Fix a big, nasty, casting bubble, OR! Tornado on a steek! :pp
1-700_A-C_10Jan15_8.JPG

We bit o' stretched sprue, and a dip in the CA! Cut, light sand, handled.

I had this really cool plan to mask the Victor with lil' bitty pieces of Silly-Putty. I bought some from an eBay vendor, but it was too old, to be sticky enough for masking camo. ACH! Back to the old stand-by. Tamiya tape.
1-700_A-C_10Jan19_1.JPG

The Silly-Putty, when fresh, works really well! :hmmm Really! :stinker
I shot the green with Tamiya OD green. It'l get a lighter over-spray for scale effect.
1-700_A-C_10Jan19_5.JPG

Masks Off!! It didn't come out too bad, for a Bitty Victor! Cockpit windows & gear coming soon!
1-700_A-C_10Jan19_6.JPG

1-700_A-C_10Jan19_7_28229.jpg

The flat coat will help too!
She's not an airplane, She's a fearsome Pirate Captain. I named her Serena. I put a bit of color on her too.
1-700_A-C_10Jan19_7.JPG

She's keeping "An Eye on things" about my Hobby spaces. :skipper

Got tons of these tiny aircraft (from WWII though). Looking forward to picking up some tips on how to deal with them. :coolio

Well, 1st, tape them to something before you point your airbrush at them. If you get Soxfox2's 3-D printed models, from eBay, mist them with Future, first. Makes the layer/Texture from the 3-D printer smoooth!
I'm shooting a Master G-24 airbrush, .020 tip & needle @ 14-15 P.S.I. A smart man lays out a whole slew of 'em, and paints enmasse.
Here's the Victor with her flat coat applied;
1-700_A-C_10Jan21_1.JPG

Serena got some more color today too!
1-700_A-C_10Jan21_2.JPG
:captain

What do we do, when lots of snow falls? :drinks What else?
Model fun! The Victor is getting some cockpit windows.
1-700_A-C_1Feb15_1.JPG

I am not masking to airbrush them. just sort of a guide.
Getting started;
1-700_A-C_1Feb15_2.JPG

I punched out the wheels for the nose gear, out of .010 plastic stock. They may be just a might over-scale. This was my smallest Waldron punch.
1-700_A-C_1Feb15_3.JPG

A dab of CA glue on both sides of the .070 wire, adjust a bit. Not too bad. Can you just make out the nose gear at the top of the bitty wire piece?
1-700_A-C_1Feb15_4.JPG

It isn't easy, to take a good picture of a Jet this small, but here goes!
1-700_A-C_15Feb15_1.JPG

I tried to make landing gear, by punching out wheels, and sticking them to .070 brass rod, then attaching the assembly to the model. :frantic NSM!
1-700_A-C_15Feb15_2.JPG

Instead, after the first sets took flight, I CA glued the brass wire to the Jet, punched out new wheels, applied CA glue to the ends, slid the tiny waldron-punch wheels to the edge of my cutting mat, and used the model, with gear legs in place to pick up the .010 wheels.
1-700_A-C_15Feb15_3.JPG

A quick squeeze with a pair ot tweezers aligned the wheels, and a dab of accelorator fixed them!
IMG_2864.JPG

IMG_2867.JPG

Here are 5 MiG-17's 2 Lightning F.6's and 2 Lightning F.2a's getting their future coat, almost ready for silver paint.
Yes, the F.6's have 3D printed over-wing tanks, and Redtop missiles! See!?!
1-700_A-C_15Feb15_5.JPG

All from eBay vendor, soxfox2! Truly remarkable!

:pilot More Bitty Aircraft stuff! I've learned some more about 3D printing since my last post on this thread!
IMG_3343.JPG

The BaE Lightnings are coming along. You get two with overwing droptanks, and two with no tanks (#65 Tiger Squadron) . All 4 came with Redtop missiles printed on! Amazing! The Grandby Tornados have had a wash, and canopies, I'm calling the H/P Victor pretty well done. In the foreground we have a small flock of MiG-17's waiting for me to make up my mind about camo, or not, and Yes, Yes that is a Martin P6M-1 SeaMaster jet flying boat, in mid-shot. I ordered a bunch of 1/700 markings from overseas, and that's all the Victor is waiting for.
IMG_3344.JPG

If YOU decide to buy any 1/700 or 1/350 3D printed aircraft, here are some things I learned;
Spend the $$ on the better materials. Don't cheap out and get a "sponge" like the P8-A is. 3D printers lay objects down in infantescimal layers, so SOME sanding is a must. I sand mine, and the shoot 'em with Future, to hel fill the layer in. The Layers are most pronounced on horizontal surfaces. Easiest to sand, take care not to damage anything, while you hold them. Not all are as durable as the Victor was!
IMG_3345.JPG

Fresh coat of Future, on the undersides of 4 A-12 Avenger II Navy stealth bombers, 3 A2-J Savage Navy Bombers, Another P6M SeaMaster, 2 Tupolev TU-16MS Badger Maritime Strike bombers, with AS-6 Kingfish Missiles under each wing. All of this lot come with the Gear extended! Less brass wire & drilling!

OH! the other White thing in the "Future Picture" Is a 1/600 C.S.S. Arkansas! :skipper :eek:ldguy Isaac Brown's command, of Yazoo & Mississippi River battle fame, from sometime, after it all started back in 1860. I drilled Her for cannon barrels. Gun port hatches follow, then color. She was mud brown, until her loss in August of 1862, near Vicksburg, MS.
IMG_3346.JPG

Another shot of the bitty WIP's
IMG_3347.JPG

IMG_3348.JPG

Snapped a couple of SeaMaster pict's to try to show the slight graininess of the 1/700 3D model. This is normal. I DID rush this P6M into color. A touch more wet sanding, and another Future coat, and she'll be Shipshape!

Dinky Airplane Fans, stay tuned! My Tu-22MS Backfire Bombers are on the way! I gotta have something for all the bitty F-14 Tomcats to chase! The Old Badger never was much of a challenge.

That's so cool, just imagine what the next couple of years developing 3d printing will bring us. :popcorn

Dinky Airplane Fans, stay tuned! My Tu-22MS Backfire Bombers are on the way! I gotta have something for all the bitty F-14 Tomcats to chase! The Old Badger never was much of a challenge.

Looks like you plan on dominating a tiny world with your Air Forces :evil:

I'm onboard with this thanks for sharing Rhino ...... Nice job on painting those itty bitty Aircraft .... :eek:ldguy ...... gonna check out the store ..... :popcorn

Back