• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Revell Ju 88 A1 in 1/32nd scale

Heavens Eagle

Hey Everyone! Just a quick edit to add some info since I also have the A4 kit as well as the A1 that this build covers.

There are quite a lot of the items in this build that will apply to the A4. When they don't, I will make note and try to

clarify the differences. If you have some questions about something on the A4 version, please ask!!!

Greetings and Salutations everyone!

I am finally getting around to setting up a threadfor the Ju 88 I have been working on since late last December. After fighting my way through a horrible project last year on a Forge World waste of resin and suffering the resultant burnout. :bang head :bang head :bang head I decided to try building a more conventional kit and something I actually hada little interest in.

The Ju 88 kit had been in my stash for a little while and I had aquired a number of After Market items for it. It was also rated as a fairly decent kit and I liked what I saw in the box. Thus, it became my new project.

I intended from the beginning to do a fairly straight forword build using the resin and PE parts that had been purchased for it. The build was going to be photographed but not posted until I had reached a predetermined point in the build. That poin was going to be when I closed up the fuselage and began on other parts. THAT didn't happen! The fuselage is still not assembled and I keep building and adding more little sub-assemblies to the build. BUT ALL IS GOOD!!! (y)

It finally became obvious that I needed to just start posting. So here it is reviews, condemnations of some things, and much added delight, scratchbuilding and mini parts creation!

As always feel free to ask questions, make comments or point out anything I might have missed.

Enjoy! :woohoo:

Ju88A1-001.jpg

Ju88A1-002.jpg

Ju88A1-003.jpg

Ju88A1-004.jpg

Ju88A1-005.jpg

The following Photos have been re-edited, resized and the text adjusted, let me know how they compare to the photos above. (08-24-2014)

Ju88A1-006-b.jpg~original

Ju88A1-007-b.jpg~original

Ju88A1-008-b.jpg~original

Ju88A1-009-b.jpg~original

Ju88A1-010-b.jpg

A Quality Build of a Revell Ju 88 A1

I'm really liking this as money is saved and one knows why!

Regards,

Very good post, really like that. On slide 5 the lower center panel, I think you got the parts labeled backwards, what you have listed as the resin part looks like the kit part, and it looks closer to the real thing.

Really looking good inside, can't wait for the next update! :popcorn

Really looking forward to this build I have an arm full of FW 88, 188 and one 388 to build.

This will be very helpful to me in the long run but would be good to watch irregardless . :drinks

You definitely have more reference material on hand than I do, so please don't be bashful with the info.

Cheers, Christian B)

Great stuff, Paul! Just goes to show that great references and skill trump poor aftermarket. I really am impressed with your scratchbuilding skills- those wells look great! Are those Uschi wood grain decals I see, or your painting skills?

Cheers!
chuk

PS- Thanks again for all the soldering tips!

Very good post, really like that. On slide 5 the lower center panel, I think you got the parts labeled backwards, what you have listed as the resin part looks like the kit part, and it looks closer to the real thing.

Really looking good inside, can't wait for the next update! :popcorn

Actuallly the parts are correctly labeled. The kit part from thebox is a little soft on the detail, with the lines and round fasteners on the top half a little thick, but the bottom parts on the resin part are a total fail. If you use the Eduard PE (which I really reccommend BTW) The lower switches and knobs end up being replaced by the Eduard PE and with a little plastic added for the knobs it will look exactly like the panel.

Hey Chuk!
No wood grain decals here. I tried using the wood grain PE spray masks that (I think) RB puts out. (will have to double check and get back with you)
That ended up being a problem in that the detail around the painted areas meant that there was quite a space underneath the mask. I only got one somewhat area to work and the rest is paint brush, wash, and whatever else seemed to work. It really is impressive to see them when looking into the cockpit with the naked eye which is all I could ask for.

(PS You are VERY welcome! That's one of the main reasons I like to get on here is to give and receive information and help)

I would have loved to had one of your artwork intro drawings for this thread like you did for your Ju388.

As to details, there will be quite a bit of reference used with the posts. Some will be creatively edited to clarify what I am doing.

Hey Folks I have a problem. . .

Just had a very bad experience over on another forum and would really like some constructive feedback, help, advice.

I made an identical post over there to start a thread like this one. The responses were somewhat the same except there were a couple of snarky ones about the title and then several about how poor the picture layouts are and that I should change them. Long story short, REALLY ticked me. It got ugly and I quit there. Not a good sceneall the way around too many bad vibes with too few attaboys.

So here is the question(s)
Do you like my photo format, should I change it, tweak it, adjust it? Suggestions?!
Should I try and do something more along the lines of ChukW's posts? (Chuk I love your posts wish I had some of your talent!!!)

Comments, suggestions with some examples? Please?

Really open to some positive here as I just had some really ugly.

Only thing that jumps out at me is that some of the fonts are a bit small Rather less type and have it bigger font. Hope this is the type of critisism you wanted.

Other than that all I can say is just dont post on a place where you get grief. MA is a great place

Yes Dave that is along the lines of what I was asking for. I know I can tend to cram a bunch of stuff on one of my "pages" but have really been trying to get it more simple.

Part of this is that I was told that post looked like a magazine article or powerpoint. It was worded such that it just lit me off. Was really no fun at all.

As to fonts, yup that has been an ongoing tweak and it still isn't there yet. Appreciate it. :woohoo:

Hey Folks I have a problem. . .

Just had a very bad experience over on another forum and would really like some constructive feedback, help, advice.

I made an identical post over there to start a thread like this one. The responses were somewhat the same except there were a couple of snarky ones about the title and then several about how poor the picture layouts are and that I should change them. Long story short, REALLY ticked me. It got ugly and I quit there. Not a good sceneall the way around too many bad vibes with too few attaboys.

So here is the question(s)
Do you like my photo format, should I change it, tweak it, adjust it? Suggestions?!
Should I try and do something more along the lines of ChukW's posts? (Chuk I love your posts wish I had some of your talent!!!)

Comments, suggestions with some examples? Please?

Really open to some positive here as I just had some really ugly.

I agree with Dave about the font size, if a viewer has a smaller/older screen they could have difficulty reading. I see your images are formated to 1024 width, maybe if you format them to no larger than 720, the width of our forum column it would eleminate and inline image processing, reducing. At 1024 your images read fine, shrunk to 720 it's a bit small. If you start with 700+- width in mind it would be great.

jmho (y)

HUGE help there Moon!!

I see say de blind man when he picked up his hammer and saw (Actually) :blink

My Origionals on "Bucket are 1600x1200
Then PB downloads are 1280x960 for most items.
I guess then that the forum downsizes it again, thus a problem. :facepalm

The 1280 size pics are actually quite easy to see and read, but no one wants to download them, (nor should they have to)

I can see where 1024 size or smaller would be a problem.

This I can do something about. Thanks!! (y)

OH! I want to thank you guys for not pooping on my post and all. You really don't know how much I appreciate it and you now!

Hey there, Paul.

I agree with Pup and Dave about the fonts, but what is more commendable, is that you're so open to suggestion and feedback, so big Kudos to you for that. I've only been here at Modelers Alliance for a couple of years and I have found that any/all feedback that I've asked for has been encouraging, informative and positive - never encountered a single 'snark'.

So keep the pics & updates coming and when you're unsure, just call-out, we're all here to help.

Ian

Yes Lan that is why I came here to ask. Got positive posts here when I looked the next day which started the day off nicely.

Then I looked at the other place, Several replies there but, it was a bit of a different story. A couple that were thanks, a couple that were basically put downs on the title, and a number that just complained about the photos. There were no suggestions as to what the problem was, just that they weren't what they wanted.

Yes it got ugly and I was a bit of a north bound horses south end. (OK a whole lot of south end :pinch: )

I guess that it is the difference between somone sayingthe pics are awefull or that they are having difficulties with them and would like to fix the problem.

Always open to suggestions, just not to folks saying my stuff socks. :( So thanks guys you are helping me get this :D back!

Hi Paul. Sorry to hear you had problems with another forum . Very discouraging when you give something to someone and the best they can do is complain about the gift.

I think if you talk to the members here, you'll find that the reason they post here is because of drama at other sites.

Your pictures and fonts are on the small size but I didn't have any problems reading any of it on my lap top . . . . Are they watching on their phone ?

Anyhow, don't get discouraged . Thank you for posting this wealth of info :good:

Cheer, Christian B)

Thanks Christian
I had kind of gathered something about the drama, and this is my first experience with it. Maybe that is why I ended up going ballistic. Have to be honest in that I could have handled things a lot better. Would not have changed the end result though, I was done there after the first day. And to fess up am now banned. As the moderator put it when he closed the thread "It was a shame".

The other part of it is that the pictures took me about 2 weeeks to edit up. Posting is a pain without internet, having to go to McD's or Starbucks with my tablet. Ugh! Will be so glad when ATT finally gets U-Verse in my area.

Anyway, (to quote Oddball) Enough with the negative vibes man! :cheer:

What I want to try and do next is to make a new format for my posts and the next installment will be about the G-Factor landing gear. I purchased a set back a couple of months ago as I found the kit gear questionable on design and strength. Photos will tell things a whole lot better than I can describe. :S

Thanks again everyone I appreciate it! (y)

Let me try this again- yesterday's reply seems to have never made it!

Great stuff, Paul- I have no problem with downloading bigger pics! I think you have too much going on in each image. I try to keep the pics focused on one step of the build, or at least one step of each process. One large dominant image, with up to three smaller process pics. This will give you a chance to use larger type, but will also have you laying out more images. That's good for we, your faithful readers! ;) Speaking of type, serif fonts are more easily read in blocks of copy than san-serif, and dark type on light backgrounds reads more easily as well. That said, I do like to break the rules once in a while, for a bit of drama and variety.

The more you practice, the faster you'll get with the whole layout thing. I'll be happy to help in any way I can.

Cheers!
chuk

Thanks Chuk!
With your artist back ground I know you have to deal with these things to some extent. I have also watched your photos evolve over time. I think Moon gave me one tid bit that could help simlify my photo posts and that is to bring the sizing down. I still have to determine a new size. Some of that will just be by looking at current posts, doing screen shots and actually looking at what sizes the photos are displaying at. Somewhat copy what works, add my twist, post and get some feedback.

Part of my problem is that I am an old time (paper and pencil/pen) draftsman. I tend to think and visualize in complicated and it doesn't translate to posts too well at times. :bang head

Umm, can't remember the difference between serif and sans-serif fonts. Been a while since I have gone across that term. I do know that the basic font I use seems to be fairly readable. The font in the title, Not so much. Working on that. Also the 2 color text just is not working for the most part, got to change that.

Any suggestions you want to make Chuk I will appreciate. Try and copy the master, imitation is the best form of flattery they say. :D (y)

Oh, your font is readable, I'm just giving the old ad-designer spiel! :D Serif fonts have those little hooky things at the corners of each straight section of a letter. San-serif fonts look like the type you;re reading right now. Since we read words not letter-by-letter but in groups of letters, those little hooks help merge a bunch of letters into a group, or at least that's what I've been taught. Like most things, simpler is better when it comes to type.

Back