• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/32 P-38M "M" for madness

dirtball

OK guys and dolls, here is my first post with pics (I hope) 1/32 Trump P-38L-5-LO converted to a night fighter P-38M. Jerry Rutman resin conversion set, BIG ED PE set,ZOTS decals and a whole lot of elbow grease and a few prayers also. And maybe a few beers!
Started this about a month ago. I`m opening panels on the right boom to show the engine and pluming. But to do it right, I had to assemble the main wheel well to position the firewall in the right place.
The first pics are the work to open the panels. Please, all comments are welcome as well as pats on the back......... :woohoo: Harv :woohoo:
100_1599.jpg

100_1600.jpg

100_1601.jpg

Now you notice 2 pannels marked :Y" & "Z" I need feedback on which panel to cut out. Please let me know what you think
100_1602.jpg

100_1622.jpg

100_1629.jpg

The next set of pics is for the mod to move the firewall. The front one is where the stock position is. Too far forward. The rear most is where I modified it to fit back behind panel opening, where it belongs. Now I will have to modify the engine cradles to reach all the way back. This is the first major scratch building I`ve ever done. :eek:hmy:

100_1746.jpg

100_1745.jpg

Open panels in 1:32 scale. Git'er done Harv! The two X up top, that mean those are coming off also?

And finaly (hope your not bored yet) this is the right main wheel well. It had to be done to get the position of the firewall. Its not quite finished, its only put together, not glued. I have a few more PE pieces to glue in and do some more dark wash. Anything you can sugest would help. Thanks for taking the time to look.............Harv :unsure:

100_1737.jpg

100_1738.jpg

100_1739.jpg

100_1742.jpg

100_1744.jpg

Re: 1/32 P-38M

moon puppy wrote:
Open panels in 1:32 scale. Git'er done Harv! The two X up top, that mean those are coming off also?
Actually,MP, if you would read it, it is X & Y. I need to know which one you all suggest I remove. But only 1 not both.......Harv :silly:

I would take off the one on the outside view. But what do I know, this is your build big guy.

Well, why not find out a bit about what you are uncovering? This helps you with the 'storyline' which explains why the panels were off.

While earning my A & P (Airframe and Powerplant) licenses, I found out that these panels were clumsy to remove, needed to be aligned correctly and replaced with the utmost care. Many times we placed hash marks to line up the screw slots so as not to over tighten them and avoiding the use of the torque wrench.

Do you have the Lightning manual? I think i have the flight manual at home in my library.

You certainly must have some nice reference books to help you detail this bird. What are you using?

Regards,

Saul, No books, just lots of pics and web searching. A couple of friends over at LSP, were kind enough to either PM me pics or even mail them to me. But I`m finding that the more I research the engine, the more I find wrong with the kit engine. But thats what modeling is about , RIGHT? Also thank you for stopping by..............Harv (y)

Hiya Harv.

It is a great looking start (y) . And I can totaly understand your frustration of the more reference you get, the more the kit shows up as being wrong :angry: . But I would go with Moon Puppy's suggestion of the outboard panel if you are only going to do one of them off.

Gary B)

Hey, thank all of you.I decided the top outer one. I guess it makes sense MP. Hopefully I can get some more work done on it in a few days!..................Harv :whistle:

The picures look good Harv.

Excellent effort so far .
Look forward to the next installment of images.

Thanks
Michael

Really nice! ;) Not a big plane guy but I have always loved the P-38. I think Jon at Mission models has one tattood on his arm (I think) :unsure: Keep it up, I think Iam feeling an itch.... that my need to be strached :pinch: lol Ryan

:peace Ryan, thanks for stopping in. I`m kinda stalled right now. Trying to locate a "engine and things" resin engine, V1710F ENG32042. I figured if I can find one it would be than scratching stuff on kit engine...........Harv :idonno

Please look at photos of the Engines and Things item before spending money. Some are great but others are... just save your money.

Regards,

The only problem with that is there is no picture of it. I did just call them direct and she sells direct and yes, she has that engine in stock. I just might bite the bulit and see what happens. The worst thing to happen is I wont like it and use it in the closed boom for weight.Then try and scrach detail on the kit one. Bit thanks for the heads up!............Harv :huh:

Saul,I just called En & th and talked to the owner(Linda) and she has them in stock, so I ordered on. I will post a pic when I get it. I figured if not usable, I`ll install on other boom for the weight, then just try and scratch build the detail on the kit engine. This already, is the most scratch building I`ve ever done on a model! We`ll see what happens................Harv :S

Do they have a web site? Is it OK to post their telephone number? As I wrote, there are a few engines which are quite good!

Regards,

Thanks, I found their web site as well:
http://www.telusplanet.net/public/engthg/

Please post photos when you get it.

Regards,

Back