• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

That Voo Doo that You Doo...

moon puppy

Administrator
Staff member
Finally got some pictures uploaded, masked off the canopy, let's see how it turned out. Of course I gave it a good soaking in Future before I did anything. Masked off the windows and then ran some Future over the seams to seal them up, that way if there's any leaks, it's already sealed.

voodoo0126.jpg

I see in these shots my clean up wasn't as good as it should have been, let's see how those mask worked.
voodoo0127.jpg

Looks good from this side, let's start peeling.

voodoo0128.jpg

What da...what's that tape up under the canopy!
voodoo0129.jpg

Why it's all over the place!

voodoo0130.jpg

Well lookie here! Is that suppose to be the inside frame?
voodoo0131.jpg

Yes, that's what it's suppose to look like, the inside frame. I can see this working a bit more with some sort of black insulator or something, just a real small pin line. Maybe a weak pin wash will do the trick.

What I was going for here is a more depth view of the canopy. Draw back is it shows just how thick some clear parts are, I don't suppose you could pull this off with just any canopy. I would hate to think about some of those German green house canopies.

All I did is masked off the top and taped the bottom, held it up to a bright light and used a REALLY sharp knife point to trace the top mask. it's off set just slightly, yeah, I meant to do that...The imperfections on the clear part is just where Future built up from leaks in the mask. Good thing it's clear eh? That cleaned up with Windex and a Q-tip then I applied another layer of Future after it was cleaned up. I'll get a finished shot of it later on.

Whatcha think?

Finally got some pictures uploaded, masked off the canopy, let's see how it turned out. Of course I gave it a good soaking in Future before I did anything. Masked off the windows and then ran some Future over the seams to seal them up, that way if there's any leaks, it's already sealed.

I see in these shots my clean up wasn't as good as it should have been, let's see how those mask worked.

voodoo0126.jpg

Looks good from this side, let's start peeling.

voodoo0127.jpg

What da...what's that tape up under the canopy!

voodoo0128.jpg

Why it's all over the place!

voodoo0129.jpg

Well lookie here! Is that suppose to be the inside frame?

voodoo0130.jpg

Yes, that's what it's suppose to look like, the inside frame. I can see this working a bit more with some sort of black insulator or something, just a real small pin line. Maybe a weak pin wash will do the trick.

voodoo0131.jpg

What I was going for here is a more depth view of the canopy. Draw back is it shows just how thick some clear parts are, I don't suppose you could pull this off with just any canopy. I would hate to think about some of those German green house canopies.

All I did is masked off the top and taped the bottom, held it up to a bright light and used a REALLY sharp knife point to trace the top mask. it's off set just slightly, yeah, I meant to do that...The imperfections on the clear part is just where Future built up from leaks in the mask. Good thing it's clear eh? That cleaned up with Windex and a Q-tip then I applied another layer of Future after it was cleaned up. I'll get a finished shot of it later on.

Whatcha think?

Nice work Bob always damned hard to mask both side of a canopy and get it to work, the future came up well and beats the heck out of buffing to get good clarity

Cheers

Azrael

Thanks Azrael, I wouldn't attempt to mask the underside of one of the birdcage type canopy, I know that. BTW, this thread was suppose to be deleted, it was used for testing. I completed this build a short while ago, I'll post a picture of it later.

Testing or not,

It is a very nice sbs on canopies. I have bookmarked it for future reference as I mentioned earlier.

Bob

So I went back and stripped the first attempt on the canopy, reapplied the Future, masked, Future again to seal the mask. Then painted flat black to simulate the inside seal of the canopy frame. Sealcoat, then the outer colors.

voodoo0134.jpg

Here's a better shot of the new and improved Canopy. I did strip and repaint it starting with the black then the outer colors. I like it, the black gives it a slight smokey tint, not sure if the real Voo Doo canopy was tinted at all, I doubt it was but I think this version is a keeper.

voodoo0135.jpg

Shot with the canopy closed. Sorry I didn't get a really good picture of the canopy.

Last clear coat and we're all done. I used the Aerogloss clear coat Flat to knock the shine off, it did it a little too well so I gave it another gloss coat and ended up with a semigloss.

voodoo0155.jpg

voodoo0156.jpg

voodoo0157.jpg

voodoo0158.jpg

voodoo0159.jpg

voodoo0160.jpg

I sort of blended in several shades of AlcladII for an effect, just testing to see how it would look in anticipation of an upcoming NMF build I'm going to do. Trying a little high shine, medium and dirty look of the metal.
voodoo0162.jpg

voodoo0164.jpg

And here we are with a clear shot of the open avionics bay
voodoo0163.jpg

All done, nope, I wouldn't do this one again..

Bob,
Going through some old threads and found your VooDoo.
Great looking aircraft.
Frank
(y)

Man you digging up some old stuff! 9 years old, wow! Still have that on the shelf but lost the open panels.

Thanks Frank.

Wow, I'm glad that Frank is bringing these back up. I missed this one. Magnificent job Bob; I am amazed at the incredible quality of this model I commend you on the new and unique ideas for enhancing the canopy.

I’m still tinkering with the one I started with Bobs. It been on the shelf of shame as long as Bobs has been on the display shelf!

Wow, I'm glad that Frank is bringing these back up. I missed this one. Magnificent job Bob; I am amazed at the incredible quality of this model I commend you on the new and unique ideas for enhancing the canopy.

It's 10 years old.... :rotf

Thanks Mark, not easy to do on some aircraft. I think I did it on the 109 just recently.

It's 10 years old.... :rotf

Thanks Mark, not easy to do on some aircraft. I think I did it on the 109 just recently.

Maybe so but it is still a sensationally masterful model! I feel so inadequate sometimes looking at work like this; especially when it is ten years old!

Back