• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

M18 Hellcat - finished!

wds

M18 Hellcat in 1/35 by the fine folks at Academy.
I started this one with the intention of doing another OD weathering thread here. A couple of pre-weathering progress pictures were posted over in Ground Power to get the thing started. While I let the Sherman dry, :laugh: I thought another OD project would be in order.

I didn’t like the way that the dry-brush did a “halo” effect around the decals (when you dry-brush, you obviously don't want to cover the decals as you dry-brush), so I decided to apply the graphics after dry-brush. This may cause its own set of problems/workarounds, but discovery is ½ the fun. (Maybe?). We will see. Submitted for your perusal. Thanks for looking.

Cheers,

Bill

Ready for the wash.
Hellcat_7.jpg

First pass with the Raw Umber wash.
Hellcat_8.jpg

A couple of passes with successively lighter dry-brush.
Hellcat_9.jpg

Hellcat_11.jpg

Hellcat_10.jpg

Re: M18 Hellcat

Thanks, B.

You really pounced on this. I guess with 15k posts, we can assume that you are hawk-eyeing this whole place. :laugh:

By the way, the gun (in the turret) isn't glued in yet, hence its floppy look. The pads around the rim of the turret were painted with Valejo 70921 (english uniform) and highlighted with 70860 (med. flesh tone). (TMI?...).

In progress,

Bill

Thanks, T and Mats. Appreciated.

:Hiay

Decals were applied, and the tools were painted.
The new stuff looks very bright, and will need a wash of some sort to bring them into line with the rest of the model. The “roll bar” snapped off, but will glue back on at the end.

Thanks for taking another look,

Bill

Hellcat_12.jpg

Hellcat_13.jpg

Hellcat_14.jpg

v29

Bill, Sorry I haven't replied. I was really busy from the first of May till just recently.

It looks great! I apply dry transfers prior to weathering as weathering effects the markings as well as the vehicle paint, but there is no reason not to do it as you did. It's the old six of one, half dozen of the other thing.

I thought your first attempt was nice, this one is even better, there is more contrast, yet not too much! As time goes on, you will become more and more experienced and it will become second nature.

Bob

Wow Bill its a Beaut you have there. I just ordered the same model and your build makes me happy with my purchase. :popcorn

Sory Bill I missed this one. Beautiful work!!! Weathering is superb! :ro:

All the best!
Dusan.

Thanks everyone, Sorry that I havn't replied.
Lets call this one finished.
I used the recommended dry brush technique for the mud on the tracks and hull. The tracks and tools got highlighted with the “polished steel”.

Thanks again Bob!

Cheers,

Bill

Hellcat_fin_1.jpg

Hellcat_fin_2.jpg

Hellcat_fin_3.jpg
Hellcat_fin_4.jpg

v143

Another fine item I discover just now...

Very very well done ! Excellent weathering, looks like the real thing

Willem

Thanks everyone, Sorry that I havn't replied.
Lets call this one finished.
I used the recommended dry brush technique for the mud on the tracks and hull. The tracks and tools got highlighted with the “polished steel”.

Thanks again Bob!

Cheers,

Bill

Hellcat_fin_1.jpg

Hellcat_fin_2.jpg

Hellcat_fin_3.jpg
Hellcat_fin_4.jpg

v143
Mantastic!!!!! :notworthy

Congratulations Bill,

You've graduated with honors!!!

Very impressive to say the least!