• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

GMC 6x6 truck

CCKW007.jpg

Hi guys, finally starting some weathering. I knocked the chassis together and attacked it with a can of Tamiya spray paint and then gave all the parts left on the sprues a coat or two with Tamiya OD 2.
Painted the tyres this morning and then started "the wash" under the tray and as I got a bit of confidence moved around the rest of the bed and sides etc.
Getting the right consistency was the thing I learnt this morning. I was using the cheapest brand of distilled artists turps and was getting a bit of beading so while in town today I picked up a bottle of Winsor & Newton distilled turps. Just about to start on the chassis .................

CCKW006.jpg

CCKW003.jpg

CCKW002.jpg

CCKW001.jpg
[/img]

:sick: What am I doing ?

CCKW006-1.jpg
[/img]

(y) I'm not sure that I had the wash thin enough coz it seemed that I wasn't picking much up with my dabbing.
I think it will come out OK and at least I get to have a good go at drybrushing later on

I'm really enjoying this as it's taking me right out of my comfort zone (y)

CCKW009.jpg

Not too sure, but its only been 10 hours. I'll give it a couple of days to fade

It's difficult to tell because the photos are a bit dark, however, from what I can see, I think you did fine. It isn't that it will fade per se, it will soften and go flat. That can take from 48 to 72 hours, maybe even more depending on the humidity where you live.

If it turns out to be darker than you like, it can be lightened with dry brushing, just remember to lighten it slightly, one step at a time. Go too light from the color at one run and it will look bad.

If it isn't too dark, then the dry brushing will lighten it a bit anyway.

I'll be starting to weather three deuces, one identical to yours, in the next lesson I will post.

Glad to have you trying it out!

Bob

Back