• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

A couple of Heinkels!!

sharkman

Master at Arms
First post in the new section! I am starting a project with one He 111 that I really want to build and thought I'd do the other at the same time.

The kits!

hacb1b93_2018-04-10-3.jpg

My plan is to build 1 as an He 111 H-16/torp. "1H+PH" from 1./KG 26, Grosseto/Sardina, July 1943. To do this, I'm going to commbine parts from the H3 kit and the H22 kit.

This is what it will look like, taken from, "Luftwaffe Bombers, Profile book No. 7 by Claes Sundin, 2017, Profile No. 73, Centura Publishing"

hd5a585f.jpg

It was interpreted to be painted a new marine colour, RLM 83 Dunkelblau with lines of RLM 79. I think it looks great!

The other, I plan as a fictional aircraft for fun! We'll call this one G1+AA, and.....I'm putting floats on it!!

hfae71fc.jpg

Started by cutting off the gondola for G1+AA

h2c3cdc9_2018-04-10-3.jpg

Then drilled out the opening for the bomb sights on both.

haaf46c8_2018-04-10.jpg

gluing the rear bulkheads in place

h9d68685_2018-04-10.jpg

on the floater, I'm completely closing up the bottom gondola and will have to fill in the tail wheel and gondola positions as well.

h1b02440_2018-04-10.jpg

h2462810_2018-04-10.jpg

Just debating if I should get the PE exterior and interior sets for these.....

The floats are MDC floats for a Ju-52.

http://www.modeldesignconstruction.co.uk

hf8beaaa.jpg

Here's a mock up on the other He 111 I have on the go.

h6e55929.jpg

h28f3355.jpg

Looks like a fun and intensive project Warren. But what I'm really curious about is what a Batman comic book has to do with a Heinkel? ;)

Looks like a fun and intensive project Warren. But what I'm really curious about is what a Batman comic book has to do with a Heinkel? ;)

A "Limited Special Edition" bonus reprint of Batman issue No.279 originally issued Sept. 1976.

Maybe it was a rare and famous one. I can only assume they included it as something to read while the glue dried!

Thanks for the interest and comments everyone!

Did a bit more work on this. I decided that the pits are pretty detailed for what they are and not worth the price of the PE sets (since I would only use about 1/3rd of the sets anyway). So, I decided to spruce them up with a bit of my own junk.

I wanted to have a difference in the two planes for the bomb site doors. The reference photos for 1H+PH has the door closed. I made a simple folded door with some furnace tape and a few rectangular pieces of cut sprue.

hff5b939.jpg

hcf1bcc5.jpg

I tested out the struts included with the floats and I think I will be able to use them if I turn the rear ones around and switch sides. It should fit nicely just straddling the underside of the nacelle.

h723557d.jpg

As for the nacelle on G1_AA, I cut down the inside wells and glued the doors tight. I'll have to sand and add a bit of fill here because of course they don't actually fit in the closed position.

hd921b24.jpg

For the bombers seat, I cut out the old back rest and used some furnace tape again to fashion a new one!

h9989e79.jpg

h9c1a515.jpg

That's all for now, ordered some masks for these!

Thanks everyone. Been away for a bit as field season has started and I've been spending long days on the water.

I did get a bit more done on these. A few more modifications to G1+AA

I thought it would be handy to have a new entry on a float version...
h2d38bcb.jpg

Started to fix up the interior a little
h2a7faff.jpg

h4f6427d.jpg

and will have to build some sort of hinge for this.

h8e27873.jpg

Back