• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

TOOL TIME - Some new plane building tools

Heavens Eagle

Many of these tools that are in this post have been lurking in the back of my mind for quite a while. The basic plate and other parts shown in the first part were originally done to try and correct warpage in parts.

That didn't work.

However the base plate and other bits proved to be quite useful for a bunch of other stuff. Sometimes all I had to do was set up the bits I had. Other times I had to make some more add on bits. This go round that was a quite involved detour but it was something that I had wanted to do before starting on a Wingnuts Wings build. The little Eduard biplane proved to be a good inspiration to get it done. Paul Budzik hasn't really got anything on me. :D

While I will use some of these on my Albatros D.I build to help align and hold things while building it, it will also show me some things that will need modifying or improving. Just bolting the whole huge mess together and then doing a mock set up with the Albatros showed me a couple of things that will need some additional modifications. I will post those later as I figure them out.

As to them ever being available to all, I doubt it. These are all hand made prototypes and I have been working on them steadily for a couple of months. I learned quite a lot more about my little milling machine in the process and that helped a lot, but it still takes a lot of time. They would be rather expensive if you were to buy them even from some place like The Small Shop that makes some rather nice PE bending tools.

Anyway here is what I have been working on for the last couple of months, Enjoy!

New_tools-01.jpg

New_tools-02.jpg

New_tools-03.jpg

New_tools-04.jpg

New_tools-05.jpg

New_tools-06.jpg

New_tools-07.jpg

New_tools-08.jpg

New_tools-09.jpg

New_tools-10.jpg

That is the end of the review of previous tools. Next is all the new stuff.

The new stuff. Lots of work in all this "stuff". Hope it works as well as I "think" it will.

New_tools-11.jpg

New_tools-12.jpg

New_tools-13.jpg

New_tools-14.jpg

New_tools-15.jpg

New_tools-16.jpg

New_tools-17.jpg

New_tools-18.jpg

New_tools-19.jpg

There are all the new tools. Next some quick mock up mountings with the Albatross to show some of what the tools actually do.

This is where I will find out for real if my ideas are worth a flip. (I believe it should work as most of this has already been tested in other builds) You can now see just how some of this stuff "should" work.

New_tools-20.jpg

New_tools-21.jpg

New_tools-22.jpg

New_tools-23.jpg

New_tools-24.jpg

New_tools-25.jpg

New_tools-26.jpg

New_tools-27.jpg

Any ideas or suggestions? Give me a shout! Till next time!

Awesome stuff there. I can see where they would be handy. If ever you did make some to sell I'd be interested.
Thanks for posting those up :D
James

You know these WNW kits don't fly right? :D

I love tools and this is beyond impressive, but you may be out of your gourd. :hmmm

Seriously, looking forward to shots of it in action. :coolio

:popcorn

I am guessing here that I have somewhere around $100 in materials and hardware for the new stuff I just built. Have no idea how much time I spent with the milling machine. If anyone wants to make their own, I will make some drawings available on request. The most important part though is the original aluminum plate which can be made fairly easily. Only thing to keep in mind on that is it has to be flat with no curve at all.

Jeff I know that it can be a real pain to get all the struts to line up and for everything to stay put while the glue dries. This way get everything lined up and set exactly right. The add glue and walk away while it dries good and solid. The one thing I have found (especially if you use superglues is that movement while setting up weakens the joint. I am sure it is true with solvent glues as well. It is much easier to set up everything and test the fit dry and solid before gluing than to fight with it in process. The 1/32 HPHpby kit is a jewel and very well made but that huge wing alone is going to make this all worthwhile.

Most impressive Paul. (y) The thought you put into the creation of this tool is a real testament to your skills. :salute

p.s. Please don't make one for me; I get too confused with the Testors and Frog directions to ever figure this out :woohoo: :rotf

Back