• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

My New Tool!

Iron Mike

Master At Arms And Resident Curmudgeon
After months of frustration with depth perception and not being able to eyeball plumb while drilling holes, not to mention breaking bit after bit, I decided to make a solution. Yes, these are commercially available, but having a friend who is a local high school shop teacher has its benefits! I bought the chuck/ shaft assembly, but the rest was done by the shop class. Many thanks, boys!

IMG_7959.JPG

IMG_7961.JPG

The chuck will hold bits smaller than I own and should make drilling a much simpler process. Enjoy!

Yes, I am a pirate......

:drinks

I can't claim the idea, just implemented the execution. Scrap metal and aspiring high school machinists. :good:

Okay Mike, seeing as the only metal basher I know here is in the paint bay could you tell me what that would be called so I can go and buy one. It looks like something I would get a lot of use out of.
Bravo Zulu to the kids in shop who made it for you, and thanks for showing me a tool I didnt know about. (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) :D
James

I bought the chuck/spindle combo here.

http://www.micromark.com/Drill-andTap-Holder-for-Press-It-and-Sensi-Press,8264.html

The press is available here, I thought it too pricey for me.

http://www.micromark.com/press-it-precision-arborandpunch-press,9309.html

:drinks

Thanks Mike. I like yours better. I am assuming you twist the knob to drill and you pull down on the handle lightly? The store bought one seems to just punch.
James

The drill is a separate attachment, an accessory. You have to buy both to get what I have, that's why I opted to make my press. I really don't have use for the press, but the drill ought to be the ticket.

As I said before, mine was made from scraps and a couple pieces of leftover threaded rod. B)

Actually Mike, I have the arbor that the chuck and shaft are"supposed" to work with and the shaft is sloppy as h.e.double hocky sticks. You ended up with a much better tool going the path you took.

(y) (y)

Mike now I see the solution to [strike]a lot[/strike], [strike]most [/strike], [strike]several[/strike], OK OK all of my stupid drill bit breakages
So Thanks for that :good: .......

[mumbling to self] :idonno ..I knew it should be simple-but could I figure it out? ---- :unsure: Noooo not me--sigh.​

that tool & attachments is made by NWSL.com I bought their metal bending brake, it didn't preform well so I didn't see the need in buying the sensi-press, But I might get my machinists tomakemeon e as I break lots of #80's :soldier (y) I might add that's a better price at Micro mark ... :good: and Mike your adaptation is very nice great job !!! (y)

Gerry, the Mocro Mark Sensi Press is a semi cheap copy. The gearing on it is kind of poor. I reworked mine and it is much better, but still not real smooth.
The little drill attachment shaft is nice and all but the shaft is too small for the hole. It isn't the same size as the press shaft so it pretty well sucks. I can use it for odd stuff, but otherwise Poo.

I do use the press to do my Waldron punches though. I like it much better than taking a hammer and whacking it.

Back