• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Paint Rack on the Cheap

I got tired of digging through drawers and/or all over the damn place trying to find various paints so I went to Wal-Mart and grabbed some of those silverware drawer insert thingies, flipped them on their sides and did this:

Kidsandpaintrack009_zpsc8f5ce83.jpg

I put another one behind my workbench so I don't have 15 different bottles all over my bench:

Kidsandpaintrack010_zps951d8e60.jpg

I couldn't believe how many of the same color I had once I got the vast majority of them on a shelf where they could be seen all at once :facepalm

Great idea! and having one just infront of you, with the paint you are using for the project is a great idea (y)
I usually have my desk full with bottles and never find the one i need :bang head
Must look next time in the store if they have something like that :)
//Mats

Great idea Jeff, I use one on my bench top for paints but didn't think about mounting vertically.

My problem is I have my workbench setup in the middle of the floor of the shop so I have no walls to mount to. Maybe I should change that around some...:hmmm

I got mine :eek:hyeah
Two of the expandables for ten buck ea.

Tony lee :)

Hey Tony do you happen to remember the brand name and item number for them. I don't have a Walmart for several hours around me and might see about snagging a few online from their store.

Thanks Tony. Wouldn't you know it, available only in stores :bang head Oh well just going to add it to the list of stuff to buy next time we leave town.

So logical---Someone out in the neighborhood just remodeled their kitchen and there are two drawers sitting in that pile that were made with these partitions- hope they are still there. Great idea! :yipee

Glad you guys are getting some use out of this. I just got tired of looking through a drawer, picking up and putting down paint jars over and over and over and over... (I'm too lazy to make little labels for the top of each bottle)

Disclaimer: I didn't come up with this, I saw that someone else had done it several years ago in one of those innumerable "Show your workbench" threads that every forum has.

About a year ago I had just finished painting up a rather involved figure and had fought the Pile-O-Paint bottles on my bench. :S I was thinking about the paint build and realized that finding the color I wanted was a royal pain in the tuckus. :pinch:

So being a Sunday afternoon and having nothing else going on, I sat down at my computer with several of the different bottles of paint I had on hand. I worked out a shelf size that would accomodate most of the bottles and got to work.

I set up my band saw, got some acrylic sheet frome Lowes and my pint of Weld-on 3 and got after it. Four evenings later I had this:

PaintRack1.jpg~original

PaintRack2.jpg~original

PaintRack3.jpg~original

Once finished and in place I discovered that I could clamp it to the table and it wouldn't slide wiggle or fall over. (y) :D

Now to build one for all the Vallejo paints I have been acumulating. :hmmm

That's awesome Paul!

Now build me one, wall mount please. :D

Tom

Ahh, but then it wouldn't be cheap.

One of the best tools I ever bought was that band saw. If I had a do over I would cough up the big$ and get a bigger one. It's amazing the things it lets me make. :geek

That is awesome!!!

This is what I made for myself awhile back. Made this a few years ago out of scrap wood I had laying around. It works ok, but I'm finding that I like it less & less as time goes on, and been seriously considering changing it w/ something but havent really figured out what yet. Its 2" deep, so for like Model Master bottles there's enough for 2 rows on each shelf. The small 1/3 oz Tamiya bottles make about 1.5 rows, and it just doesnt seem to work real great. I think having it set up for just a single row where you can easily see the colors is much better. Thinking about making a new one where its planned out better for a section for all my MM paints, and then the Tamiya's, etc. I love the idea of making it out of acrylic like that. No more having to lift the bottles over the shelf rail to see the tags.

S4010044.jpg

I really like this rack Adam, though if I were to build another one I would do the shelf angles a touch different. Would make it simpler and the bottles would set just a bit different. It is about 4 inches deep and 15 high ifI remember correctly.

I am going to be phasing out the GW paints as I don't like the containers that well, and they are starting to dry out from just setting there. The MM paints will be taking their place as time goes on. :fencing

Awwww Dave, you just KNOW you can't live without having a big dangerous cutting tool in your possesion. :tomato I "ALWAYS" double check things and fully adjust the safety guards before turning on the machine. As my dad used to say, "Engage your brain and have it fully engaged" . Too many people these days don't think things through BEFORE turning on the switch. :smack

Back