• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

A pair of Academy P-38's for Tom

moon puppy

Administrator
Staff member
Ian and I were talking the other night, for me, day for him, and we figure we're going to do one for Tom. If you'd like to join grab a P38, a cold one, pull up to the pool side lounge and let's do one for Tom. :drinks

Y'all might recall my run in with this kit when it was boxed up by Eduard and had some Brassin resin thrown in. P38 over Europe is what they called it and I was a sucker to buy it as soon as it came out. The Brassin resin did not fit the Academy cockpit bay, when I contacted them they said basically yeah we know, we'll fix it next time out but nothing for you who bought the kit. So ever since then I've been gun shy on anything Eduard has to offer since they don't back what they sale.

So anyway..

Academy P38, Aires Cockpit and some Brassin resin bits (if they stinkin' fit!) and some Eduards PE..maybe.

h1273760.jpg

To Tom! :drinks

Academy P38 for Tom

Yup...bought the same kit and after reading your mishaps, I left it alone...just sold it and made a little more than I spent ;). Would like to do a Lightning at some point-- so I'll be watching this one!

Academy P38 for Tom

Yup...bought the same kit and after reading your mishaps, I left it alone...just sold it and made a little more than I spent ;). Would like to do a Lightning at some point-- so I'll be watching this one!

Sold it for more?! :facepalm

Well come on in the pool Mike, our Memorial builds are not campaigns so to say so all you have to do is build it and post it.

Dave should be coming up with a ribbon for these. :good:

Academy P38 for Tom

Yes...spent $80 and sold for $95 ;)

I will...just no Lightnings in the stash yet-- need to wait until September when the teaching checks start coming again ;). Summer break is nice...but 2 months without pay makes it a lean summer ;)

Academy P38 for Tom

Got some major progress done to day. Cockpit in place, booms built, wings together. Not exactly shake and bake, it is fighting me but i got something for it.

head1959.jpg

If all the clamps hold on till tomorrow I should be able to get the booms in place and start fitting it out with details.

Academy P38 for Tom

Well come on in the pool Mike, our Memorial builds are not campaigns so to say so all you have to do is build it and post it.

Dave should be coming up with a ribbon for these. :good:

It's in the short pile, but I have to get my P-47s and my F-4 done first, and the honeydo's aren't even close to done!

Academy P38 for Tom

And a little later than advertised, here's my start on exactly the same kit.

Unlike Bob, I'm not putting Eduard brassin in mine, but I do have the (small) Eduard etch set and have ordered some (late) resin wheels from Ultracast in Canada to replace the less than stellar hubs and 'rubber' tyres you get in the kit. At the moment I'm leaning toward a camouflaged one from the 370th FG but also on the way is a copy of the Mini Top Colors (sic) book which includes a decal sheet, so bets are off for now.

h9b228f3.JPG

Going to plod along quite slowly with this not in any rush, so updates won't be happening 'thick-and-fast' as they usually do with one of my projects. Stay tuned tho', don't touch that dial.

Ian.

Academy P38 for Tom

And a little later than advertised, here's my start on exactly the same kit.

Unlike Bob, I'm not putting Eduard brassin in mine, but I do have the (small) Eduard etch set and have ordered some (late) resin wheels from Ultracast in Canada to replace the less than stellar hubs and 'rubber' tyres you get in the kit. At the moment I'm leaning toward a camouflaged one from the 370th FG but also on the way is a copy of the Mini Top Colors (sic) book which includes a decal sheet, so bets are off for now.

h9b228f3.JPG

Going to plod along quite slowly with this not in any rush, so updates won't be happening 'thick-and-fast' as they usually do with one of my projects. Stay tuned tho', don't touch that dial.

Ian.

:drinks To Tom

I still don't know what scheme I'm doing but pretty sure I'm doing a camo bird.

Academy P38 for Tom

:bang head :bang head

In my exuberance to get the cockpit tub lined up and sealed I failed to check the trailing edges of the wings.

h63c8707.jpg

No taper at all, should have sanded the inside of the wings to get them to taper out to a point. Well, fill with some Tamiya putty and sand away my blues.

Academy P38 for Tom

Now this is something to watch :popcorn I've got like 5 of these kits in the stash. Would join in but everything is still boxed up from the move. :geek

Academy P38 for Tom

:bang head :bang head

In my exuberance to get the cockpit tub lined up and sealed I failed to check the trailing edges of the wings

:pinch: Ouch... Almost certainly rules-out a NMF machine, Bob. I'll watch for that on mine. Sounds a wee bit mean but I'm quite happy to let you ride point on this one :evil: !!

Ian.

Academy P38 for Tom

Only reason I"m ruling out NMF on this is the complexity of the bird, spraying up in the nooks and crannies wouldn't be the way to get a good base, lease wise I'm not going to try it. Haven't seen good ol OD NG camo in a while so :soldier

Really kinda thinking of doing something factory fresh, even before delivery to the squadron. :hmmm

Academy P38 for Tom

Nice idea - but why don't go 'the extra mile' and do 'Yippee'

hd197431.jpg

I can virtually guarantee that nobody will ignore it, factory fresh, tiny bit of exhaust staining and a one-stop-trip to the spray booth. I got the decals, so you know you're covered there :v - I DARE YOU :evil:

Ian.

Well here's a thing... Was just scrolling through Chad's Nationals pics, and found this:

hf50a9a0.jpg

This is the same scheme that I'm planning to do :good:. Talk about your coincidences, eh ??

Ian.

Back