• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

GAVIA 1/48 Albatros D.I (last build details)

Heavens Eagle

In response to Alex and his Fokker builds, here is my start post for the To End All Wars. I am going to work on this while addressing the difficulties of my Stuka build. I am intending to build this out of the box as much as possible. Did a little digging around in my reference materials and found some info. Also have some other reference on the way.

Here is the start mark:

ALb_D-I_001.jpg

ALb_D-I_002.jpg

Let me know what you think.

GAVIA 1/48 Albatross D.I

Got some assembly and shaping done today. Tomorrow is going to be paint day. Lots of internal plywood paint work and detailing. Have lots of little parts, sub-assemblies, and PE ready to paint and assemble. Changed the seat cushion and used my prong beading tool to add the buttons to it. (you'll see :D )

BTW, what do you think of my new signature. It was way past time to update it and with the PooterBucket fiasco going on it made me get busy. (though I think I forgot one item I have been working on)

GAVIA 1/48 Albatross D.I

Have a nice update to the Albatros build. Found some nice info in my WNW kits and have added some small tweaks to the engine and engine compartment. The photos will show all.

ALb_D-I_003.jpg

ALb_D-I_004.jpg

ALb_D-I_005.jpg

ALb_D-I_006.jpg

ALb_D-I_007.jpg

ALb_D-I_008.jpg

Let me know what you think. This build is moving along fairly well so far and have been enjoying it.

GAVIA 1/48 Albatros D.I (new pics 7-10)

Thanks for the comment Bob, much appreciated!

The wood grain on this build is all experimental as I have not ever done any before. I did look around at various other builds on the internet to see what they did. I am also using the photo etch stencils that RB Productions put out to get some of the patterning. Using a base of Testors, Humbrol, for the base colors, some Vallejo for detail, Citidal washes and then some Tamiya clear yellow, red, and orange to get the varnished look. The interior was fairly dark looking at the reference pics in my WNW kit instructions. The exterior should be lighter and less patterned as the Albatros planes were not usually tinted that dark.

Have to finish up the interior and engine first and they are close and looking good.

That Albatross is simply magnificent Paul! Outstanding work on the wood grain. Man, you are nailing this one!

I also love the signature you did. I wish I could do one as well, but I've not go the time, skill or understanding of things like that to do it. Very nicely updated though.

Keep this coming man, I love watching this.

Thanks for your kind comments James and Mark. This is actually a test build I guess. I am trying some things out before jumping on one of my WNW kits. Slightly smaller and a little less detail, it still gives me all the things to do that one of the big ones will need.

As to the sig, thank you very much Mark! I did it in my Canvas program like I do all my graphic work. It takes a certain format setup to do it and while I have figured it out, it could be a little more efficient. I thought it would be a good thing to show the builds as well as the ribbon and a little explanation. Everyone has the ribbons, but nothing to show what for or what the ribbon means. I got the idea from what some folks did on some other sites. If I had a bunch builds like some on here it would definitely have to be a bit different. For now it works.

As to Canvas I am still using version 10 as the newer versions they made a big change that really FUBARED the alignment tool and makes the program a LOT less user friendly. I think it was almost a sabotage thing and they aren't smart enough to figure out that is why sales have dropped off. There are about 6 or 8 things that if they would change them either back to what they used to be, or change it to my suggestion the program would be totally awesome. Version 16 was a total loss and broken, 17 is better but still 2 main things that break it for my use.

Got the new book I ordered on Albatros D.I and D.II (Windsock 100) and some decals and the Model Master Spandau gun barrels today so I am all set. The book pointed out some errors on the painting from the kit and showed something interesting for the wing painting on one of the versions. Not fully decided yet what scheme I will finally end up with but it will have a stained wood fuselage.

This build is looking great Paul! Reminds me that I'll have to get back to my Gavia W4 (once I find out what to do with my images now that PB has gone crazy!).

:popcorn :popcorn

Thanks for looking in Warren!

This build is looking great Paul! Reminds me that I'll have to get back to my Gavia W4 (once I find out what to do with my images now that PB has gone crazy!).

:popcorn :popcorn

Hey Warren! I also have the Gavia W4. Looked in the box before starting this and my kit has a bunch of resin in it as well as the kit. Just wanted this to be a basic build, but it seems these days that "basic" escapes me as I always find "something" that isn't right. Lucky for me the items are relatively minor and are easily done. Mostly just a couple of little details that need to be added which will be shown soon.

As to the photo stuff, thee hosting here works great. My only suggestion to anyone posting is adjust your photos in a photo editor first. I take a lot of doubles and triples and choose the best. Then I crop it and change the actual resolution down a good ways in my program. Finally I render the photo for posting to slightly larger than 1024 x 768. This keeps the file size small and keeps the forum page from taking forever to load. As the pictures are designed for the small size they look good and load fairly fast. I still keep the originals untouched and it works quite well.

Here are a couple of new photos.

ALb_D-I_009.jpg

ALb_D-I_010.jpg

ALb_D-I_011.jpg

I will probably finish up the engine this weekend. It is fairly close now just have to do the spark plugs and wires then some other details.

GAVIA 1/48 Albatros D.I (new pics 7-13)

That is looking fantastic Paul! Your engine almost looks like it would run if you added gas to it. Nice work!

Thanks Mark! This kit has a few little things that need to be teaked up but for the most part those are small details that just need to be added or slightly modified.

Thanks Luiz, much appreciated!

With that I have a new update this morning. I finished up the engine last night and here are the photos with the words to explain.

ALb_D-I_012.jpg

ALb_D-I_013.jpg

ALb_D-I_014.jpg

ALb_D-I_015.jpg

ALb_D-I_016.jpg

ALb_D-I_017.jpg

ALb_D-I_018.jpg

ALb_D-I_019.jpg

ALb_D-I_020.jpg

This little beast is moving right along. Now to finish up the cockpit and get busy on the outside.

Back