• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Not quite good enough. Dr.1

Plastik Smurff

Since I'am waiting for some P/E to arrive for another build I will have a crack at this.

IMAG0651.jpg

IMAG0652.jpg

This model never quite made it into full production as it had cooling problems and was tail heavy.
By all accounts only 1 was made to full flight speck but was not armed.

(ps.If this does not meet campaign rules I will remove)

I knew about this plane & have the kit too. Neat little plane. I think Phalz (sp?) also had a triplane prototype that used the same engine as the Seimens Schuckert DIII . They were attempts to compete with the Fokker Dr1 an the Sopwith Triplane.

I knew about this plane & have the kit too. Neat little plane. I think Phalz (sp?) also had a triplane prototype that used the same engine as the Seimens Schuckert DIII . They were attempts to compete with the Fokker Dr1 an the Sopwith Triplane.

That's what I have read too although accurate info is tough to find.
Glad this fit's in the rules.

This will be a first for me so here we go.
The molding on this kit is quite sharp for a late 90's kit and comes with the obligitory Eduard P/E.
I have given the fret a spray with Tamiya's metal primer,it's thin and clear so no detail is lost.

IMAG0660.jpg

The first job is to remove the solid molded radiators off the center wing's.

IMAG0659.jpg

I had to get the Dremmel out as the plastic was to tough to hand cut out.

IMAG0661.jpg

The P/E screens fit rather well :D

IMAG0662.jpg

To start the wood process in the pit I previously sprayed the part's with Tamiya buff XF-57.
I then put a coat of clear over this ready for oil's.

IMAG0663.jpg

IMAG0664.jpg

Using Burnt Sienna and Raw Umber with 502 Odourless Turps the part's recived a coat of oil's to try and simulate wood. :zen
The prop is a lighter colour than the other part's,using the same mix just adding a little more Sienna to give the wash a redder hue.

IMAG0665.jpg

IMAG0666.jpg

Looking good. Would you say the effort to cut out the rad to put in PE was worth it or could a person leave the molded on rad and still be happy with it? Wonder if one of these will come out in 1/32 some day?
James :popcorn
James

Looking good. Would you say the effort to cut out the rad to put in PE was worth it or could a person leave the molded on rad and still be happy with it? Wonder if one of these will come out in 1/32 some day?
James :popcorn
James

To be honest,if I did not have the Dremmel I would have left the plastic in. Of course the P/E is finer in detail but with good painting the original molding would be fine.A coat of black over them then a light rub to get the paint off the high detail leaving the black in the recesses then a dry brushing of dark aluminum and they would pop.
This in 1/32 would be cool,this is the only kit of this plane I have seen so maybe he call for WW1 prototypes ain't there. :idonno

Don't forget that Eduard Albatros do not include a representation for the fuel tank located behind the engine. The guns hide that fact well enough, unless your building an unarmed version.
Not scratching up a simple tank on my D.II bothered me enough that I hanger-queened it.

Your doing a fine job, bye-the-way (y)

:hmmm the kit does have gun's included but I dunno,how visable is the tank without them on? Might try and find some pic's of the tank to see if I want to build it.

:hmmm the kit does have gun's included but I dunno,how visable is the tank without them on?

I took a quick photo of an unfinished D.III. You can see that without a fuel tank, there would be a void in there. Guns would help, but, you would still notice an unnatural space if your looking at it.

hd17217a.JPG

To me, it's just a flaw in Eduards otherwise excellent Albatros series. Not trying to dishearten you; just want your build a happy one. :dude :good:

Thanks mate that is a great bit of help,a tank it is,won't look right otherwise. :D
I take all feedback as positive and constructive,it's what MA is all about. (y) (y)

Positive and Constructive, and being able to receive that Constructive Criticism goes a long way. :drinks

:popcorn

A little progress done.

IMAG0672.jpg

IMAG0673.jpg

There is 4 tiny p.e switches on this board :bang head
IMAG0675.jpg

IMAG0679.jpg

Added a oil tank as suggested,basic but it does the job.
IMAG0680.jpg

The dial decals have been stuck on thin evergreen stock then pooled future on top to simulate glass front's.
IMAG0681.jpg

Thank's James that certainly help's a big thank's (y) (y)
As far as the dials go,I dunno they are way bigger than the mount that they are to go on hence the application to the sheet stock they look more like 1/35th than 1/48th.I wanted some Airscale decals for this but I cannot get them from anyone here in Australia so it seems.
I don't know if i should mount the guns on this bird,they are resin and p.e so should not look to bad but would they have mounted the weapons on it eventhough it never saw service?

Back