• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Fantasy Flight Games AT-RT

ErnieS

So after finishing the T-6 I was sorta not building much until I happened to find this little guy in the local comic book store. I was waiting to pick up lunch for my wife from the sub shop next door and went in to check the place out.

28989980048_425b806479_c.jpg

There are not alot of parts in the kit, but the detail is pretty good, I was quite pleased by that as this is apparently a game piece for a Star Wars game. I didn't see a scale listed on the box or instructions, but it looks like somewhere around 1/32 maybe??? It comes with a choice of three weapons, a laser cannon, flame thrower, and Gatling gun type thing :eek:hmy:

28989979908_0b734c0358_c.jpg

It did not take long for to get this ready for paint, though in hind sight I could have probably spent more time cleaning up the parts ;) I primed the parts with black Mr. Surfacer and then sprayed everything with Mr. Paint camouflage grey and hit the highlights with MRP white. The kit has no decals so I masked off the markings and sprayed those with some old Gunze Aqueous colors green. (y)

28044580667_6f19b0541d_c.jpg

28044582847_ba2b6804cc_c.jpg

After a good coat of gloss, Model Master gloss coat, everything got a dark wash to bring out the detailing and begin the weathering process.

28044581157_de4126acbb_c.jpg

42913587321_3934c54216_c.jpg

Next I played around with the weathering, chips using Tamyia German Grey, detail painting using mostly Vallejo acrylics, including a couple metallic colors to see how they worked, and then streaks using mostly Winter Streaking Grime. This was followed by oil stains and drips, grease and grime, and what not to make it look like it sees rather heavy daily use.

43024051521_2a684d06b9_c.jpg

29151894618_d119ac93b9_c.jpg

The instrument console was dressed up with a photoetch bezel and then a spare instrument decal added. This was coted with some clear blue so that the decal is still visible, looking like something is actually on the screen. Some switch decals were also added to complete the details on the consol.

29151894248_47b5039335_c.jpg

I also started working on other aspects of the kit, like the figure and the base for it to stand on. For the base I cut a piece of Mahogany, routed the edges and put on a couple of coats of polyurethane. I also wanted to add a cool little detail to the base...mushrooms! :geek I made a mold for the caps from two part mold putty and used the ends of a couple paint brushes to make indentations of different sizes as well as the end of a drill bit.

43286242291_fdf68cf25e_c.jpg

Then it was just a matter of putting a drop of resin in each indentation, and then baking them; the mold cavities do not hold enough volume of resin to fully cure, so the whole works was put in a 200 degree oven for about 8 to 10 minutes to allow the heat to fully cure the resin. And BOOM! Shrooms :D Evergreen rod was used for the stems.

43286242741_cba08309a0_c.jpg

I also wanted to add a plant to the base, I have some laser cut plants of various types that I have never used, so I wanted to try them out. They are very nice, but are made from dark green paper. I wanted to try to spruce it up a bit so I pushed a pin though the center of the leaf parts, both as an aid to attaching the plant to the base, and also the head of the pin would form a bulb of stem or something in the center of the plant. I used oil paints to change the color of the leaves. I bent the ends of several leaves and then touched those with brown oil paint to replicate the damaged portions of the leaves.

43286241991_0962cf9e57_c.jpg

I painted the figure (hence forth known as Homer) using all acrylics. This is the first figure I have painted in about 6 years, and also the first one I have done in all acrylics. I bought a set of either AK or Ammo acrylic flesh paints, and their book to go along with it and kind of figured things out as I went along. I added a simple made up woodland type cammo to Homers jacket and pants. For the rest of his gear I watched a couple YouTube videos (next best thing to Google :lol: ) to figure out what the rest of his uniform would look like. He turned out okay I guess, for not doing alot of figures he looks half way reasonable to me. He did seem much happier once I took the stick out of his rump :rotf

43286671321_2241c1e3eb_c.jpg

After that I put everything all together

43286234321_52af94cc2a_c.jpg

43286229151_bf5d89c63c_c.jpg

43286230051_121ec6025e_c.jpg

43286230771_0aecac6a72_c.jpg

43286232501_04e237efd8_c.jpg

43286235971_c9fbc13f6a_c.jpg

43286240401_0e3b8b4ef8_c.jpg

43286240841_8f53f18d57_c.jpg

And that's it, finished up this afternoon! The only addition I made to the kit was to replace the twin antennas on the rear of the walker as the kit ones were way, way to big. I am pretty happy with how it turned out and was able to try out a couple of things I had not used before too get a feel for them for future projects (paper plants, acrylic figure painting, messing around with different layering's of weathering etc.) Anyway, this one is going into the case and on to the next kit :good:

Looks great Ernie, really dig the walker. The guy's eyes could use some work but if I were ridding that thing I'd be bug eyed also. (y)

That's GREAT!! I wondered where the ejector marks on the rudder pedals would go!
Very FUN!
:salute
:rotf

Looks great Ernie, really dig the walker. The guy's eyes could use some work but if I were ridding that thing I'd be bug eyed also. (y)

Thank you, I appreciate the critique. I will take a shot at fixing them before putting this away. Funny thing is I can barely see the eyes without using magnification.....they don't look so bad that way :rotf :rotf

Then take more strategically posed pictures...:rotf

I'm no figure painter but I think I would try to close the eyes a bit, remove the white above and below the pupils.

I believe the scale is the standard 28mm figure scale used in game figures. Don't have ready access to my conversion reference but I think it is somewhat smaller than 1/35th.

As to your figure, it looks real good! These smaller gaming figs can be a challenge to paint up and make look good.

I believe the scale is the standard 28mm figure scale used in game figures. Don't have ready access to my conversion reference but I think it is somewhat smaller than 1/35th.

As to your figure, it looks real good! These smaller gaming figs can be a challenge to paint up and make look good.

Thank you Paul, I forgot that gamming figures have their own scales, I tried matching the figure up to some standard 1/35 figures and they did not quite match, he was just a bit smaller. Thank you for that info, it makes sense now.

Back