• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

USS Defiant finished.

ausf

Master at Arms
While waiting for CTA to start, with a clean bench, I decided to grab an older build off the shelf to finish up.

I gave up trying to cut all the window/deck openings to illuminate the 1/1000 Enterprise. I finished the Bussards (with blinking and spinning lights) and the other nav beacons, but shelved the project when the rest just seemed too much.

While looking over the decals to use on the windows, I found the kit has alternate decals for other ships. One on them is the USS Defiant, which I remember was in distress in an episode. I found the episode on Netflix, The Tholian Web, and the Defiant is caught between dimensions, a ghostly green as it fades away while the Enterprise sits idly by.

Since I'm waiting on the 50th Anniversary 1/350 Enterprise to be released, I thought finishing this as the Defiant in the distance would be a perfect display with the big kit.

I primed, painted and Futured, but the bussard lights don't catch well in still photos since they are moving, but you get the idea.

I'll need to get creative after the decals are on, with trans green paint. I may try to get some glow in the dark pigments, but I'm not sure how they'll look. They may be opaque.

I went for a derelict look, the heavy panels will be washed out a bit with the green top layers:

hca10b6c.jpg

hae112a8.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Resurrection with a twist.

There are always possibilities Captain. I love the original Ship. My Momma was a HUGE TOS fan. :ro: :notworthy (y)
More please!! :salute

Resurrection with a twist.

Got some markings on it, mixed up a trans green concoction, wish me luck...

hec8b2c8.jpg

h2c60faf.jpg

Here's what I shooting for:

h2de4219.jpg

Thanks Bob.

I know I took some artistic license with the TV still, but that was a cheap effect from the 60s. I like the mottled look better, it's more derelict looking, especially in person.

There's about 6 coats of varying trans green and yellow with matt coats in between. I was trying to get the decals to wash out a bit more and thought a good heavy matt would haze over, but it didn't. I'm hesitant to put more pigment in the paint and blow it.

I'm just glad I got something off the shelf that was doomed to the pile.

Looks quite good Jeff! I believe you managed to obtain a good likeness of the original show. (y)

As a bit of info, we found out what happened to the Defiant in one of the 4th season episodes of Enterprise. While the 3rd season was a lost cause, the 4th season was awesome.

In the Enterprise episode the Defiant ended up in the alternate universe where the crew of the alternate universe Enterprise were able to take it back from the Tholians. The CGI graphics of the Defiant in that episode I thought were quite well done.

Now you need to build a TOS Enterprise with a couple of Tholian ships trying to capture it. :hmmm

Thanks guys, appreciate the kind words!

Paul, I never watched that series but just did a search and it looks like a great episode. I'll try to find it on a platform I have access to.

NIFTY-KEENIE-WOW!! :ro: :notworthy (y) :yipee If Polar lights would just produce that Ship in the same green glow-in-the-dark plastic that The Leif Ericsson if molded in................... :idonno

Thanks guys.

Rhino, a buddy just pointed out to me that AMT has a 1/650 version in glow in the dark, with the Tholian ships. An Amazon seller has it for $12 shipped. I'm almost tempted, but I'm waiting on the new 1/350.

Back