• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/48 Bristol Beaufighter

sharkman

Master at Arms
If this will pass muster, I need something to do that's easy!

According to what was posted, " I'm keeping simple for air and land subjects anything produced in numbers over a 1000. Sea subjects say...500 or more. not sure of the Abrams is over 1000 units...but it's definitely a workhorse...you get the idea"

"Also thinking that projects already started will be good as long as they are no more than 50% done. I would like to get 10 to 12 people on the poll before giving this Campaign a start date."

Bristol Type 156 Beaufighter: a multi-role aircraft used in many roles; rocket-armed ground attack, aircraft torpedo bomber, maritime strike/ground attack aircraft, anti-shipping aircraft. Built 5928 according to Wiki

h468a77d.jpg

I had some of the wing and interior glued together, that is all. Plan on adding some Ultracast seats and exhausts.

Thanks guys!

got the interior painted up. the two Ultracast seats worked nicely replacing the old ones.

h15fcdc6.jpg

h50368e5.jpg

he5dd1c4.jpg

and with the fuselage buttoned up, I have a few small seams to clean up. coming together quickly!

h517f3ac.jpg

I was trying to drill out the two little openings on the cowlings but screwed them up royally so now I'll replace them with some hyperdermic needles. I'll probably try to fashion some exhausts for the engine to attach to the cowl as well.

hfe71076.jpg

Thanks John, that helps me a lot! I've been looking at a few pictures online, looks as though several of the pipes coming from the back cylinders connect to the ones in the front of the engine.

Warren, as you know the Hercules was a sleeve valve engine. It had two exhaust ports on the front of each cylinder, and three intake ports on the back. Here's a web page with a good picture of the intake piping on the Persius and Centaurus, which were similar to the Hercules.

https://www.enginehistory.org/members/articles/Shilling.shtml

The left side exhaust ports of the front and back row cylinders were joined together and in the case of the Beaufighter and other installations with the front exhaust collector ring went forward. Same for the ports on the right side of each cylinder. A real rats nest of piping, and there were also three struts that went from the front reduction gear housing to the front collector ring to support it. This is the clearest photo I have found of the piping for the exhaust on the Beaufighter.

Im1943EnV176-p383.jpg

Thanks John. been looking at a few walkaround sites to check out the piping but these links and info will help too. Next step after some sanding!!

worked on the landing lights and drilling out the intakes.

he0200de.jpg

h72d0e42.jpg

lights. i used Stoneboat's advice for the furnace tape

haaf8505.jpg

h528cef8.jpg

then added a little Micro Crystal Clear for a lens

h67926c5.jpg

I have some engine and light fixtures pictures if you're interested

Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks Chris, I did find a few pics online that helped!

I've painted some of the fiddly bits

h907ddb2.jpg

and just added some cut round tube for the exhausts

hbff2cb2.jpg

2 sets for each engine

h2613dd7.jpg

Painted...

h8f650be.jpg

then cut out. some foam so I could paint the inside of the cowls copper

h6f161e1.jpg

h8fa2315.jpg

Also cut out the intakes and replace the molded detail with 2 pieces of wire

hc64d18e.jpg

two power-eggs ready for installation!

hdfab27a.jpg

Last night I painted a pre-shade and sprayed the topside dark sea grey

he5aaa79.jpg

h8e1dd6b.jpg

next up will be the undersides!

Well, I let this one go too late but am going to try my best to finish by tonight. not much left to do.

I've been working at it while home and finishing up MMM.

Where I left off....
Had the upper sides painted and was working on fiddly bits

h42249f3.JPG

Painted the tail red, added a little black to tone the colour down

haa63639.JPG

sprayed Sky on the undersides and attached the cowls, maskingoff the exhaust rings

hf7b959d.JPG

masking removed

h6bd8880.JPG

I sprayed a gloss coat at this time but had a reaction where more of the pre-shading bled through than what I had would have liked, top and bottom. Not sure why, maybe I didn't have good enough paint coverage???

hc36495d.JPG

h6029693.JPG

anyway, shot some more dark sea grey and sky over and got the decals on

hc0a2f14.JPG

not many pieces left to attach

h888e4c8.JPG

Last night I started the panel line treatment and weathering. I weathered the gear bays and the exhaust cowl rings and here's how she looks at the moment. My wife is taking over home schooling the girls this morning so I can get some real work done for my job but I'll see if I can finish before midnight.

h75b66f3.JPG

Back