• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

MiG-21 F-13 1/72 Cuban Missile Crisis - DONE!

Flyingbabydoc

Hello dear friends,

In between models for the COF campaign I was wondering which would be a true workhorse and I guess to me None is more apt for that Definition than the Mig-21. Almost 13000 built (more than any other aircraft post WWII), served and still serves in 18 countries! I guess this incredible aircraft deserved my Attention.

I am going to build the Revell Kit of the early Version (Fishbed C, MiG-21 F-13) which was the Adaptation of the original MiG-21 to carry the AA-2 copies of the SideWinder Missile (which fell in Soviet Hands after the chinese brought one unexploded home stuck on the engine of a MiG-15!). Decals by Begemot from Russia and PE from Eduard.

This particular aircraft is also very interesting, as it belonged to the 213rd IAP and was transferred from the Soviet Union to Cuba during the Missile Crisis of 1962. This is one of the aircraft seen in the famous satellite photos which actually began the crisis. Since it was moved rather fast, the Soviet Red Stars were simply painted over with a White circle. It served at Santa Clara AB in December 1962 and only after the Missile crisis was over it was moved to Santo Antonio AB in Havana and handed over to the Cuban Air Force.

h60f2020.JPG

Thanks for watching and for your comments,

Cheers

Alex

h42f99c6.JPG

hfa01413.JPG

h2f803f3.JPG

h681c65d.JPG

h7eec2a8.JPG

MiG-21 F-13 1/72 Cuban Missile Crisis

Hi again,

I got some free time last night and was able to work on this Project. Very interesting, the PE is great and I have never built such a complicated ejection seat before!

Anyways this is the preliminary work.

Cheers

Alex

h21d9d5b.JPG

h9ef60e5.JPG

h4beb295.JPG

h8755e4d.JPG

h03a661f.JPG

hd8bad74.JPG

hb5bf50b.JPG

hcc84c0f.JPG

Thanks Bob and Luiz

Really delightful kit to assemble. Everything fits really well with only minor adjustments. There is a lot of weight required to Balance it right but These Little mixing balls do the trick well.

Now of to finish the assembly and start painting. Lets hope it turns out better than that Mirage.

cheers

Alex

hc40d1c7.JPG

h37cccf1.JPG

h1664593.JPG

hf29bf49.JPG

hf889a37.JPG

h072df0f.JPG

Thanks Frank and Luiz,

Some more work done while waiting for the MiGs from Egypt to dry.

All Aluminium painting with some Details in polished metal and steel. Different Panels, I hope it doesn't look to much like a toy.

Now decals.

Cheers

Alex

h7e55c0d.JPG

hd1f32e9.JPG

hb2df7d5.JPG

h3eeb3d3.JPG

habad06a.JPG

hd9b279d.JPG

hef00e8f.JPG

hee10353.JPG

Hello again,

Apparently this build has not generated much interest but I will see it through anyways :skipper

Decals and weathering are in. Getting the right mix for the washes in metallic planes is not that easy. Too much and all gets very dirty and messy, too Little and you barely see a Thing. Gotta work more on that. I am using very thinned Black Blue from Ammo of Mig, I read it should be the best for metallic planes. Lets see.

Here the pics

Cheers

Alex

hd543ee1.JPG

ha3d5fc7.JPG

h7989e0a.JPG

h3d99473.JPG

h08bc964.JPG

Sorry Dr A, sometimes a post just slips by us. Looking good, should clean up well. :popcorn

Hi friends,

It indeed cleaned up well.

I still have to figure out how to better smooth the models before using the metallic finishes. The Suggestion from Christian with the fine sanding is great but still some Details go missing.

I will work on that on my next build.

As for this one, I am calling it ready.

Now on to the next challenge.

Cheers

Alex

Pictures:

h6aeef58.JPG

hd6a7882.JPG

h461f118.JPG

h01f1098.JPG

h1e3f9b7.JPG

hbb108ea.JPG

h71bcf70.JPG

he27ba3e.JPG

haeeba50.JPG

Nice build, for a NMF, have you considered Bare Metal Foil?

Back