• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/48 F-84G Thunderjet

tom1815

Recently picked this Tamiya kit up at the IPMS Dayton show, got a couple of goodies for it at the same time.
Apparently about 7000 F84's were built so i think I can get away with calling it a work horse for the USAF.
hbc81694.jpg

ha47dd83.jpg

h7dbc5b9.jpg

Pre Century Series that lasted longer than some of those aircraft, I think you're right. Git'er done Tom. :popcorn

At the moment im not entirely sure lol, I know im supposed to use a gloss black primer but i have polished aluminum for the top coat, my worry is if i super gloss the black will it make the top coat look way too shiny and toy like?

The Polished Aluminum should be on a glossy coat, glossier the more shiny. You can temper the shinny with weathering if you like.

If you want just a oxide looking aluminum go with one of the other colors I would think, you know I got a love hate relationship with the alclads... :bang head

h0aa233a.jpg

This is polished aluminum..

It ended up looking like this.

h72484b6.jpg

:pilot

I like that, so it looks like i will be putting on a gloss coat, would a coat of Future work? As you can tell im new to Alclad

I like the sheen of the last picture . Whatever you applied . It looks quite believable :)

Cheers, Christian B)

I like that, so it looks like i will be putting on a gloss coat, would a coat of Future work? As you can tell im new to Alclad

Tom I think I actually used Chrome on that Jug, if memory serves...

Future would work as a seal coat but I find it heavy. Really need to play around with the Alclads, I've been playing with them for 10 years and still can't get it right.

Alclad is lacquer based so be careful, light mist building up your colors. I screwed up and let some pool on my B49 and it just ate right into the base black.

Ok my first use of Alclad, i did go back and apply a gloss coat, looks ok i think, certainly not the mirror shine of Pups chrome Jug but passable as a working airframe.
hd14f458.jpg

h022cb4a.jpg

h65aafef.jpg

BAMN!

Tom I can't tell you how many times I tried to get a mirror finish. Looks good, clear coat next?

Thanks Pup, I read somewhere you can decal straight over the Alclad without the need for a gloss coat, or wouldnt you recommend that? The problem with Alclad is there are so many conflicting online reports about it.
I have noticed now its drying more its starting to look more shiny so thats good news.

Back