• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Leopard 2A4-Meng 1/35th

errains

Heavy Metal Modeling
Staff member
hd1c3104.jpg

The Leopard 2 is a main battle tank developed by Krauss-Maffei in the 1970s for the West German Army. The tank first entered service in 1979 and succeeding the earlier Leopard 1 as the main battle tank of the German Army. It is armed with a 120 mm smoothbore cannon, and is powered by a V-12 twin-turbo diesel engine. Germany has fielded about 2,125 Leopard 2 main battle tanks in various versions, but most of the tanks were sold following the German reunification. Other countries bought newly or locally built tanks. The Leopard 2 is currently serving in the armed forces of Germany and 12 other European countries, as well as several non-European nations, including Canada, Chile, Indonesia, Singapore, and Turkey. The Leopard 2 was used in Kosovo with the German Army, and has seen action in Afghanistan with the Dutch, Danish and Canadian contributions to the International Security Assistance Force, as well as also seeing action in Syria with the Turkish Armed Forces against ISIS, with mixed results.

-Reference Photos-

hacbf1b6_2019-04-01.jpg

he2c7f9f.jpg

hd00675c.jpg

hbaabfbe_2019-04-01.jpg

h568d37d.jpg

-The Kit-

For this build I'll be using the Meng Leopard 2A4. First released in 2015 this kit became the benchmark for modern Leopard kits. Look here for an in depth review from Leopard Club

I'd like to give a special Thank You to our own "Iron Mike" for providing this kit through a trade. As a bouns two aftermarket barrels were included in the box.... "Thank You Sir!!"

hf624b3d.JPG

hf464862.JPG

:v

neat Choice! I have always liked the "Square Front" Leopard 2A4, it is a neat vehicle! Do you intend to wrap the front in camo as shown in several pics?

PS - you up early to be retired, Eric

Thanks everyone for your comments. Yes I still get up around 0630ish for some reason...and yes bandaids and all is the plan. I did manage to get a little bit done before heading out for the afternoon. Making sure all the major assemblies fit reasonably well together and got the hull mounted to the building board.

h4f79063.jpg

h4141148.jpg

hf99f153.jpg

h143a798.jpg

It sure is a nice piece of kit. I'll probably not do to much more at this point as I need to get some other builds further down pipe.
:v

Well that's interesting...:popcorn

A solid wood block in the middle of foam and cork. Why? :idonno

Will that's just the wrong question...gezzz :blink ....the right question is why NOT... :facepalm

The block is used when I need to put the model in my vice and the foam and cork thingy is to minimize direct handling of the model so that my fat fingers don't go knocking little bits off. Also helps in stowing it dur transport. :frantic ...oh and it looks kool too :coolio ...you want one now don't you :D

Will that's just the wrong question...gezzz :blink ....the right question is why NOT... :facepalm

The block is used when I need to put the model in my vice and the foam and cork thingy is to minimize direct handling of the model so that my fat fingers don't go knocking little bits off. Also helps in stowing it dur transport. :frantic ...oh and it looks kool too :coolio ...you want one now don't you :D

Yeah that's a heck of tool there :blink

Look forward to the progress

Back