• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tamiya M51 Sherman - ADDENDUM ADDED

iambrb

So this is a place-holder, that is the reason you do not see it with a start date:

h9a31d77.jpg

I think Eric, in the "workhorse" thread, is correct, i need something easier than the Academy M60 Struggle-bus I currently am fighting with:

I have also gone ahead and gotten separate link tracks for it

h5d71740.jpg

and also I have the M1973 update set as well:

h0b8f912.jpg

I think Tiger Model Design offers some neat stowage for it too, but I have to dig thru my Value Gear stuff and see if there is anything I want to add as well.

Will post a dated pic before starting!

If anyone else wants to build this as well then jump right on there, as I have 4 builds going on currently and NEED to finish one before starting on nay more!

Last edited:
MOST EXCELLENT BRUCE!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izrzkS5xxuc
:v

OK so yesterday I completed something....time to start another...and it's this one!!! Here are my "Proof of no-start" pics

h7e3d782.jpg

hebcbddd.jpg

Well, I only was able to get a small bit done on this, as the Wifey is only working a half-day today, so wanted the place to be semi-clean when she got here.

So the bottom half of this is not a 'bath tub' type, but rather must be built up. Unlike most other Tamiya products, this one is not quite as well engineered, and does not truly 'fall together' so you have to be careful gluing it up, but it came together OK

hb864053.jpg

Really the next part I only had time for are the little bits holing the fenders on. They donly look like much, but trust me, getting those on was a job! I had to hand drill each hole abd use magnification to get them sanded/orinted/glued, but again, came out OK. Note that I am using the Legend 1973 update set, and the engine deck (shown in gray resin) was pretty warped, and I had to soften it in hot water to get the odd curved warpage out of it.

hf7d2b4a.jpg

hc9da9e8.jpg

I wish I could have had more time today on this, as I really like Tamiya kits - Eric is right to claim "fan boy" status on it. Anyway I will have all fay Friday and some Saturday too (I hope) on this before it is back to the real world, but 'till then!

OK so got some work done on hte rutrret. The canvas mantlet had some dad-gun huge gaps, so I used very thin sheet stock (card stock, to y'all across the pond) and softened it to fill in the gaps using adhesive. Had to tell, but worked very well! The Legend 1973 conversion Resin set has good and bad in it, like any set. I spent almost two hours unsuccessfully fighting the track holders that were to be mounted on the turret, only to realize that the tool boxes in the 1973 version removed the need for the kit parts, which really had better detail on them, so I used those. Not too long after, I had superglue over most of my fingers, so decided to call it a day. I still have to plumb the searchlight and mount the M2 HB Machinegun, but overall, it is looking pretty good!

h40dd676.jpg

h4297ea9.jpg

he489bd1.jpg

hey one of the good pats of the Legend set are the chains for the grenade launcher covers, pretty neat!

heaf948e.jpg

Ok, 'till next time!

thanks! Beats me why the tracks face two different ways on the turret, but it is what it is!

Back