• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

MIG-29 A Fulcrum 1/72

Flyingbabydoc

Hello dear friends

To celebrate my return to MA, I will also jump in with a brand new Fulcrum originally serving in the German Luftwaffe after the Reunification in 1990.

This a Tamiya Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG 29-A (Izdelyie 9-12) "Fulcrum" "red-56" Serial Nr. 2960532356 of the 1st. Tactical Squadron, Siły Powietrzne Rzeczypospolitej Polskiej, Malbork, Poland 2012.

Decals are Xtradecal from the series "World Airpower Update". The model will be OOB.

This airplane comemorates the "Kosciuszko Squadron". This squadron was officially formed in 1919 when a group of American pilots volunteered to help Poland in a war on its eastern border with communist Russia. The American volunteers joined a group of Polish pilots to form the squadron. One of the first things that the American pilots did was to design a badge for the squadron. The background of the badge was red and white stripes from the American flag, but arranged vertically not horizontally. Over this was a pair of crossed scythes and a peasant's hat, symbols of the Polish campaign against Russia. The squadron badge was displayed on all of the squadron's aircraft from 1919 to 1939.

When the all-Polish No.303 Squadron was formed by the RAF during the Battle of Britain, it adopted the Kosciuszko tradition and the emblem was painted on its Hurricanes, Spitfires and Mustangs during World War II. When Poland regained her independence in the early 1990's, the Kosciuszko tradition was revived by the 1 eskadra of the 1st Fighter Regiment and the emblem appeared on its MiG-29's. In 2009, to commemorate the 90th anniversary of the Kosciuszko Squadron and the upcoming 70th anniversary of No. 303 Squadron's participation in the Battle of Britain, one of the squadron's MiG-29UMs received a special paint scheme with a large Kosciuszko badge across its back. The aircraft was so popular, that the decision was made to adorn all of the squadron's MiG-29s with the badge. In addition, many of the aircraft had portraits of famous members of Kosciuszko squadron painted on the insides of the vertical tails.

I was impressed by the Story of this squadron and therefore decided this would be a perfect build for this campaign. Hope you like it.

Cheers

Alex

Initial Pictures.

h5574859.JPG

h487da93.JPG

h1ed8121.JPG

hc361a5f.JPG

Thanks guys

I got some bench time and started working on this Project. I wanted to get back in the saddle with some easy OOB to get the Juices flowing again. I knew that this Tamiya kit was a re-issue of the Italeri kit, but I expected at least some Quality control. Just AWFUL. This a Basic kit, not so many Details, and still nothing fits well. So disappointed.

This is what I got so far. Even trying to get rid of the seam lines is a nightmare, since the plastic is mostly warped.

I will see what I can do and how far I can get.

Cheers

Alex

h8937f2a.JPG

hf11de9f.JPG

h87deee5.JPG

hf4bfaac.JPG

h4e2c12f.JPG

he5fb221.JPG

h5363bb9.JPG

h51f4912.JPG

h6bb3e38.JPG

Sorry to hear about the quality issues, but it looks like you are off to a good start.

:good:

Are you in Brazil?

I still have a spare Italeri kit should you screw something up and need replacement parts. Until the release of Zvezda and Trumpeter, the Italeri kit was the most accurate of all.

Regards,

Thanks guys

Saul, I am not in Brazil. I am in Germany enjoying the -15°C weather today. Many thanks for your offer. I will spend a lot of time now with sanding and rescribing this model. It is still a good Training for me, since I have been very lax with seam lines in the past. So it is all good.

I will shout if I need some help. Thanks again.

Cheers

Alex

Hi everyone

So I am taking things slowly and paying much more Attention to Detail. I think I was able to force the plastic warps into Submission, although I had to sacrifice a lot of the Detail to sanding and rescribing. This is really not easy. Still, it Looks smooth now and I am ready to go ahead with this model - I'll give it a shot at least.

These are the current pics.

Cheers

Alex

h9962608.JPG

h238df1d.JPG

h615d484.JPG

Thanks guys.

I think I did manage to tame the beast, after much sweat and swearing. I was able to "de-warp" some sections by applying cautiously humid heat (i.e. a humidifier) to the plastic and very slowly bending it back in shape. The rest was putty and sanding.

h36126dc.JPG

hc2a5873.JPG

h2730a1b.JPG

h9b256c6.JPG

hd4ecdbc.JPG

I am happy, I think it is working. Now on to paiting.

Should look like the one on the right in this Picture:

h23b32f6.jpg

Cheers

Alex

Back