• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

PZL.23A Karas (1/48 Mirage)

sharkman

Master at Arms
I'll jump in first! Here's my kit!

h57fa545.jpg

h6c72dee.jpg

And a bit of aftermarket PE and mask

h6118564.jpg

Guess they didn't worry about crew protection. :popcorn

Yeah, I don't know a lot about this plane, other than they only made about 250 of them, most of the Polish ones weren't lost in combat, and they exported some.

It is an ugly and unusual plane, that's what attracted me to buy it!!

:D

Yeah, I don't know a lot about this plane, other than they only made about 250 of them, most of the Polish ones weren't lost in combat, and they exported some.

I know too much! Don't be afraid to ask.

I understand about the so ugly I like it!

Regards,

This airplane has always attracted me . Unfortunately , my build is only a Heller kit :coolio

Watching this one by all means.

Cheers, Christian B)

This airplane has always attracted me . Unfortunately , my build is only a Heller kit :coolio

Watching this one by all means.

Cheers, Christian B)

It's going to be a bit of a challenge! it is a nice kit, well molded and the fit looks good from what I can see so far. There are many small parts, the plastic is kinda on the soft side and there is a lot of small PE I'll have to deal with.

The "A" version was used only for training. If you need any help feel free to ask :dude

This is not an easy model - i know it quite well...

The "A" version was used only for training. If you need any help feel free to ask :dude

This is not an easy model - i know it quite well...

Thanks Hubert! I did see in the instructions that the A was used for training, with only about 40 "A" versions being built (that correct)?

I've decided to build this version, No. 44.5 "8"

he107527.jpg

I have 2 questions though:

1. The instructions say 44.5 was allocated to the Polish Air Force College at Deblin and then captured by the Germans in '39. It says the wheel spats were removed for wartime operations and I had wanted to build it without the wheel spats as the Part PE has some nice details for the struts. This should be fine, yes?

2. The full registration is listed as "44.5, "8", ??-D". One of the other versions pictured lists "44.31, "2", 20-D". with a large white "20" on the underside of the starboard wing and a "D" on the port wing.

Do you or Saul know if "44.5, "8", ??-D" had any white alpha-numeric codes on the bottom of the wings?

1. The instructions say 44.5 was allocated to the Polish Air Force College at Deblin and then captured by the Germans in '39. It says the wheel spats were removed for wartime operations and I had wanted to build it without the wheel spats as the Part PE has some nice details for the struts. This should be fine, yes?
Yes

Do you or Saul know if "44.5, "8", ??-D" had any white alpha-numeric codes on the bottom of the wings?
In the case of this machine, there is no full agreement as to the markings on the bottom of the wings. The matter is also not facilitated by the fact that there were a lot of descriptions and exceptions regarding these alpha-numeric codes. In the latest edition of the Karas model (1/72 scale), another manufacturer (IBG) suggests only the letter "D" because in the spring of 1939 this plane was transferred from the school in Dęblin to the School Squadron of the 1st Air Regiment in Warsaw and probably part of mars was changed or painted over. The Foundation inscription on the plane appeared in April 1939 during the service in the Warsaw squadron.

All photos I have show this plane in side view or top/side view :idonno

It is an ugly and unusual plane,
You're wrong - this plane is charming :gogo

Yes

In the case of this machine, there is no full agreement as to the markings on the bottom of the wings. The matter is also not facilitated by the fact that there were a lot of descriptions and exceptions regarding these alpha-numeric codes. In the latest edition of the Karas model (1/72 scale), another manufacturer (IBG) suggests only the letter "D" because in the spring of 1939 this plane was transferred from the school in Dęblin to the School Squadron of the 1st Air Regiment in Warsaw and probably part of mars was changed or painted over. The Foundation inscription on the plane appeared in April 1939 during the service in the Warsaw squadron.

All photos I have show this plane in side view or top/side view :idonno

It is an ugly and unusual plane,
You're wrong - this plane is charming :gogo

Thanks a million Hubert!

(p.s. I don't really think it is ugly, most probably do, but I like the odd and unusual!)

You welcome - I have a few books about PZL P.23/42/43 so in case of any question feel free to ask (y)

You welcome - I have a few books about PZL P.23/42/43 so in case of any question feel free to ask (y)

Thanks Hubert! If anything comes up I will pester you! :D

Just completed a few sub assemblies

wings, etc..

h2873029.jpg

Some work on the cockpit, the instructions say to assemble the inner tub and then glue it in, I chose a different route!

h84dd9e5.jpg

The lower gondola is a neat piece, It is molded as 1 piece that you fold for the correct shape

hd0b1b06.jpg

h537703e.jpg

Pilots seat

h7fe3e15.jpg

That's all for now. The fit is great on this kit so far, the biggest issue with the kit is it is full of sink marks!!

Back