• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Individual Link Tracks For Armor Made Easy

Iron Mike

Master At Arms And Resident Curmudgeon
Lately, I've noticed an aversion to individual link tracks by modelers and couldn't help but wonder why? The old rubber band tracks were SO awful, what would cause folks to shy away from detailed, easy to assemble links? Maybe there's too many? Maybe it's the clean up of injector marks or attachment points? Fitting them together and keeping them that way? Well, maybe this can help ease that pain.

I am no expert, master or anything of the sort, but an old friend of mine who is shared his method with me some years ago. We'll use Dragon's Magic Tracks for the first example. A lot of Dragon's kits are supplied with left and right tracks, so we want to assemble them that way. How do we know how many per run? Here's an easy, surefire way to measure. 3M blue painter's tape is low tack and works well for this. Wrap a length of tape around the sprockets and returns where the tracks will fit, this gives us the length. Split the tape with your knife and attach it sticky side up to a piece of wood or your bench top. I like to use a length of 1x4 pine.

IMG_6730.JPG

IMG_6731.JPG

After cleaning up any ejector marks, you can start assembling the run, making sure you have the links firmly attached and square to each other. Maintaining the alignment goes a long way to easy installation. B)

IMG_6732.JPG

I like to work in lots of 10 at a time, helps me keep track of where I am and doesn't seem to be as daunting as a run of 100. :laugh:

I usually assemble both runs, but you can work one at a time if so desired.

Once all assembly is done and alignment checked, a liberal coat of Testors Liquid Cement is brushed on the inside surfaces of the links. This adhesive gives you a good bond and stays workable for 10-15 minutes, plenty of time to shape the tracks to the vehicle.

IMG_6735.JPG

Let the glue set about 10 minutes. I like to paint my tracks before installation, use the colors of your choice, but a quick drying paint works best for me.

IMG_6735.JPG

This is a base coat of paint, so don't worry about getting it perfect, we need to move quickly.

Liberate the tracks from the tape with your hobby knife (carefully) and add glue to any links that might be loose.

Wrap the run around the sprocket, making sure the teeth engage. Tracks are heavy, so any floating will ruin the effect and we don';t want that! Go over the idlers and returns, meeting in the approximate middle of the bottom run. Make sure the tracks engage with each other, remove or add a link if necessary. Any gaps between the track links renders the track useless and ruins the build. Take care here. Adjust the sag, if any with cotton swabs, shims, sprue or whatever to get it right.

IMG_6736.JPG

IMG_6737.JPG

IMG_6738.JPG

The reason I like to do both runs is so the vehicle will sit level with both installed. Think of walking around with one shoe off. :mpup

If we did it correctly, we now have a good looking tracked vehicle.

IMG_6739.JPG

A second technique is necessary for tracks that employ links and pads, like German half tracks.

I like to use a length of 1x4 pine again, this time with a groove I milled into it with my table saw.

IMG_6558.JPG

If you don't have a saw, you can make a jig from strips of wood or styrene, you just need the groove to align the links.

Set the links together with the pins engaged, then carefully glue the pad over the teeth, being careful not to glue the pins. This holds the links together, while leaving the tracks somewhat workable.

IMG_6559.JPG

IMG_6754.JPG

Paint the tracks, then pick out the rubber pads with your favorite rubber color with a brush. Install as earlier described, taking care with the engagement of the teeth.

IMG_6758.JPG

IMG_6769.JPG

Here's a link to a previously shared video, should you want more info.

https://www.modelersalliance.com/forum/sprue-u-tips-and-techniques/150367-making-magic-tracks-easier

I built the DML ISU-152 using rubber cement on the tracks, it worked well, but I prefer the liquid cement method. Hoping this makes track building easier and more fun. Thanks for looking.

:drinks

Individual Tracks For Armor

Thanks Mike, good SBS.

But it does open a new can of worms. How do you paint tracks on a completed model?? :soldier

There's an old saying "If you can see it, you can paint it." :eek:hyeah B)

Tracks can be done as I showed, but left in an upper and lower run so you could remove them to paint. The runs remain flexible enough to allow some play to get them back in place. You just need to be careful to get all the tracks connected. :mpup

:ro:

Thanks Mike. Nice tutorial. I still prefer the metal tracks but I will have to try this eventually.
James

Thanks, James. I too prefer the metal tracks, the weight and realism they impart to a model really do it for me. The kit supplied individual links keep the cost of modeling down, a key element to many modelers. :good:

I agree Mike. And without getting political (so no griping guys and gals) I think modeling is going to become very cost prohibitive next year for Canadians. So learning this skill will be the way to go.
James

Well my King Tiger has metal tracks, think I gave away the kit tracks so I can't give any of this a shot next time.

Really good info here Mike. :soldier

Thanks, Bob. It should be noted the tape method can be used to measure the track length accurately for metal indy links too. Keeping track of how many links if you plan to build a similar vehicle in the future is a good idea too.

Thanks for sharing. I think both my tracked kits have the individual plastic links. Being that armor isn't my primary foray, I can't justify to myself the expense of metal tracks that would be more than I paid for the kits (they do look pretty damn sweet though B) ). This will come in handy when the time comes. Cheers.

You are welcome. Yes, metal tracks are somewhat expensive. An advantage of metal tracks is that they usually do not take any longer to assemble and they stay together once assembled. If you calculate modeling time into the equation, they can actually be a savings. I just spent the better part of a day wrangling a set of Tamiya SU-76 tracks into submission, time I could have spent on other parts of the model. Between the clean up of the attachment points, shaping the runs and getting them to stay attached, it was an ordeal. Good rule of thumb, if the kit tracks are small, they can be difficult to work. I once built a Bronco Hotchkiss that would have never gotten finished without Friul tracks, the kit pieces were unwieldy garbage.

Hoping this helps take the sting out of individual links.

Thanks for the tips on these tracks Mike. It seems as I get older,I have less patience with these types of tracks. :eek:ldguy

Thank you, Robert! No, I do not have any rubber band tracks for sale, but if you'll PM me what you're looking for, I'll give them to you if I have them.

Thanks Mike!

I'm still having a terrible time with these friul tracks for my type 1. I'm going to try and get some work done on them today!

Back