• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Chewing Gum Pieces 2 Sandbags

Tankbuilder

Shalom.

As promised a very long time ago here is how I make sandbags from Chicklets Chewing Gum Pieces.

You can use any other brand of chewing gum pieces that's available in your locale.

The hardest part about making these sandbags is not to chew all the gum whilst you're working.

Step #1 is to get the gum. Take the pieces out of the package. Do NOT give in to temptation and chew them.

Step #2 is to arrange the pieces in any container that is deep enough to allow you to cover them in hot water. Be sure the pieces don't touch each other because if they do they'll get well and truly stuck together.

Step #3 is to carefully and slowly add hot water from the tap to the container until the chicklets are covered. Again, be careful the pieces don't shift and touch each other.

Leave the pieces to soak until all the coating has dissolved.

Step #4 is to carefully remove the pieces from the water. I carefully pour the water off then gently pick up the pieces and put them on a piece of paper to dry.

Step #5 is to mold the pieces to whatever shape you want. When dry the pieces are still pliable. You can see one bag here that I curved.

Step #6 is to use the pieces wherever you want them and then paint them.

On a tank. (M-551 Sheridan)

Or to protect ammo in a mortar pit.

To line the top edge of a mortar pit. They're barely visible above the trooper that's eating.

To line the bottom of a Vietnam Era M-113 APC for mine blast protection.

I hope this is of some use to you. Comments are welcomed.

Cheers from Peter

Back